Slow crop with grainy feel

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Shilaommi, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Shilaommi

Shilaommi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    Hello and hope you are all well. I have a beautiful blue Cochin who has raised chicks twice.... I used wooden eggs under her and surprised her with day olds...
    I noticed 2 days ago that her crop was very full and she was doing strange movements with her head. The Internet said she may be doing that to pass gas. I brought her inside for the night to monitor her crop in the a.m. It was Still big and felt grainy. Her crop fit inside my whole hand and when massaged, Feels like corn kernels inside. My husband gave them pop corn couple nights before, but all the others crops are fine. I gave her 200 mg Colace, yesterday, and her poop is beautiful well formed and abundant, but the crop is still feeling grainy and never empty. Is there anything you suggest I do if I can't afford to take her to a vet? I spent $650 on another chicken at the vet a few years ago and I'm vet shy right now.... and not working at the moment. So any advice as to how to help her will be very appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Small sloppy feeds, regular crop massages and no access to fibre ie grass/hay etc until she is right again. Does her breath smell bad or is it just an impacted/pendulous crop?
    I had a broody bantam cochin a few months ago that developed a huge one the size of a soft ball and it was so heavy it was tipping her forward. It took me two weeks of massage and small sloppy feeds to sort it and I did consider euthanizing at one stage. That day I spent over an hour massaging and trying to vomit her....the following morning it was noticeably less. I will admit it was quite a rough session for both of us as I was pretty emotional but desperate, as it had reached "do or die" time. She absolutely refused to vomit but I can only assume that the inverting and intensive massaging helped to break it up.

Good luck with your girl.

1 person likes this.
  3. Shilaommi

Shilaommi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    Thank you so much for your reply! It was very helpful. [​IMG][​IMG]

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Glad you got the help you needed. Thanks for joining us!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. You have some great advice from @rebrascora and I'm sure there's supplemental info if you search for "impacted crop", or "sour crop" (if her breath smells, well, sour)

Good luck
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Excellent advice. Welcome to BYC.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC!

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you aboard. Hope you works out your chicken's crop issues. Best wishes! :)

10. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by