1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

slow egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bohntr75, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Bohntr75

Bohntr75 New Egg

May 3, 2009
    West Springfield
    Since it has gotten cold and snowy my egg production has fallen from 12-15/day to 4-6. any ideas on how to keep the girls laying in the cold

2. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Give them a little light in side the coop that is on a timer. My girls have 12 hours of light, but I've heard that 14 hours is best.
    even up here in AK (where the day is about 5 hours long) I've been getting eggs every day with a break every few days. Just having a light to keep them awake a bit longer will keep them producing eggs for more time each day. The cold itself shouldn't be a problem unless they aren't used to it (mine just pulled through a -5 degree cold snap, no problem)
    Also, extra scratch in the morning and at night. it raises their body temperature....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by