Slow growing Buckeye

It'sMeStan

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2017
I have a mixed flock of 8 that will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. I've noticed that my little buckeye chick is growing much more slowly than her flock mates/sisters. She is definitely growing, and thriving (very active, etc.), but looks more the way the other 7 did at 1 week. The bit of information I was able to find indicated that buckeyes may grow slowly, but that they would feather quickly. She also had very few feathers compared to the others, and no tail feathers to speak of (which now has me concerned "she" may be a "he" ... Unfounded? Too early to tell?)

I'm concerned as to wether this is normal. I've also read a little that buckeyes may need a bit more protein than other breeds. Could this have something to do with her slower growth rate? They are eating a starter feed with 20.5% protein. Should I be supplementing her diet with high protein treats? How would I do this? Should I offer them away from the others?

Any advice or opinions would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Julianna

It could be she/he gets pushed away from the feed. Try adding another feeder so they all have plenty of troth space.

Then again there are runts. Could be as simple as that too.

The 20.5% Starter feed is fine, that's not your problem. As Egghead said an extra feeder may help though. And it could just be a runt. I've had a couple of those.

Don't worry about it being a male yet, it's way too early to tell. Typically males are larger, not smaller, but I have had some that were small. even compared to other chicks the same age. It is too early to tell.

Some chicks are just slower to grow than others. Even among the same breeds you can get some that are smaller or slower than others. As long as she is active and healthy don't be concerned. Give her a chance to grow out of it.

Thanks for the replies. Honestly I'm not at all worried she's getting pushed away from the food. For as small as she is, she's also one of the most assertive. She has no problem pushing herself between the food and another chick. In fact, the one that does occasionally have trouble getting to treats (but not so much food) is at least 1.5x her size :confused:

I have 6 BE in my flock of hatchery birds this year. They are the smallest in the group. However, I am pleased with the spunkiness of them, and they are now developing the nice mahogany color that the breed is noted for.

I don't remember if they were slow to feather. Initially, they had a lot of white feathers, but as they've gone through their juvenile molts, the white has been replaced with the nice dark mahogany. One of the cockrels has a lot of black feathers, so will most likely be on the short list, as long as the personality of the other is acceptable. I'm a techno idiot so don't post pics more than once per year or so.

Back
Top Bottom