Slow Growing Meat Birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DreuZilla, Jan 3, 2011.

1. DreuZilla

DreuZilla New Egg

Jan 3, 2011
    Last year was the first year I raised a couple turkeys for meat. Call it an experiment to see if I could do it, but it was a complete success, they were big and way better than your standard butterball. Now this year I would like to try a small flock of meat chickens as well as a few more turkeys. Now personally I do not like the traditional fast growing eating machines of today. I want a bird I can let free range outside and slaughter at around 5-6 months of age, what breeds would be best for this?

2. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:You can eat'em all that way!

Assuming you want some meat on the bones, it seems that line within breed is just as important as breed. Delawares, Brahmas, Buckeyes, Orpingtons are all breeds that can grow to good slaughter weight in 5-6 months, but if you get the wrong line of one of these breeds, you may find yourself with scrawny meat birds. Others will chime in with their preferred breeds.

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Australorps
    Jersery Giants
    Orpingtons
    Delaware
    Phymouth Rocks
    Cornish
    Wyandottes

Those would be my first picks

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Well, I am an Orp lover - BUT do not get a hatchery strain - look around and purchase from a breeder who breeds toward the APA standard.

Your birds will be much larger and meatier.

Buff bird on the left is a hatchery girl - the splash on the right is a heritage (both Orpingtons) The buff is 7 months older than the splash and half the weight .

[​IMG]

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    rocks, straight cornish, Freedom Rangers, but don't knock the CX tell you try 'em! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  6. bluenosechicken

bluenosechicken Out Of The Brooder

For many years I raised Jersey Giants, and as a dual purpose chicken had Barred Rocks and White Rocks. Sure they eat more, but generally they were easy to keep and did very well over wintering in our northern climate. My wife and I just moved to a nice little place here in Nova Scotia and intent to start raising them again this spring. Hope you stay with these type of breeds they do pay off in the end.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by