1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Slow Growing Meat Birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by FireChicken12, Jan 24, 2014.

1. FireChicken12

FireChicken12 New Egg

Jun 24, 2013
    How long would a Ranger Red or any other slower growing meat bird live if it lived a natural life and not butchered?

2. LilRedRoo

LilRedRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Bremond, Texas
    I don't think there are any sure answers; just depends on what exactly they are (breed crosses) and environment/feed/exercise you provide. Seems like some folks here state that broilers won't last beyond the year-mark, but a lot of the comments I've seen are for the CornishX broilers.

I have 2 "red broiler" pullets that we are going to let grow a while, but they are too young (13.5 weeks) to know what they'll be like down the road. Maybe a few of us can test the waters and find out over the course of the next year? I'm willing to let mine stay around; they look nice and are quite gentle. We are free ranging them but they also get some feed from time to time, especially lately with the rough weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by