Slow Growing Pekin! Very worried :(

Yorietran

In the Brooder
May 6, 2019
Hi everyone!

It's my first time posting on here. I am so grateful for BYC to answer all my concerns. But this one i just have to ask...

I got a Pekin duckling at TSC on April 27. He/she was about 2-3 days old. As of today, he's 6 weeks old. But he only weighs about 32 oz. So that's 2lbs. He seems to be eating great and very active. He loves to eat and would eat anything we feed him. He also gets to forage on the grass everyday after his swim session. I'm not sure what's wrong and why he's growing so slow :(

Another thing, I wonder why his feather grows like this. Is this normal?

Thank you for everyone who helps!

Attachments

• IMG_2960.PNG
    IMG_2960.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 44
2 lbs at 6 weeks old doesn't seem bad to me but I'm only in my first year as a duck owner so I'm not as experienced as others. I'm not sure what the feather issue may be.

What are you feeding your ducks? I feed Purina "All Flock" crumbles for a good while and supplement with a little brewers yeast for extra niacin.

@Magnolia Ducks @Tacswa3 We feed him the stuff they sell at the Ranch we got our first duck from. It's just packaged in a brown bag. The people did tell me it's duckling feed. We add Niacin supplement to their food every day. We feed both of our ducks twice a day (him and another 10-week-old Kakhi Campbell who seemed to grow just fine).

Below is the picture of the bowl (blue). Both of them share that same bowl. We also feed them mealworms, spinach and other treats every couple days. Most of the time, There are some food left every time we come out to fill their bowl.

Attachments

• IMG_2894.PNG
    IMG_2894.PNG
    4.3 MB · Views: 20
so you got him from a bin? it might not be as pure bred pekin as you think mabye?

i had a couple pekins that were medium size, and the last three i had looked like geese! massive ducks

Your doing a great job feeding and giving niacin! it would be nice to have a spec sheet on the feed but iam sure its good stuff.

@casportpony

Back
Top Bottom