Slow growing Rangers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BurchFunnyFarm, Jan 10, 2014.

1. BurchFunnyFarm

BurchFunnyFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    Deweyville, Texas
    I ordered 25 Red Rangers from Ideal Hatchery and they got to me around October 20 and did awesome. I was so thrilled with their health and growth rate in their brooder pens, but they seem to have stopped growing. They have constant feed in their coop and free range all day. Some just seem very small, perhaps 2 pounds, and others have outgrown a few laying hens. I was thinking they would be ready in 6-8 weeks as the information page of the hatchery said, but none were even close to butchering size during that time. Has anyone else raised these birds? Could you give me a more accurate expectation for time between hatching and butchering? Like I said a few are huge and ready for the freezer, but the majority would hardly be a meal.

2. Elke Beck

Elke Beck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Sunny So Cal
    6 to 8 weeks is the grow out for Cornish Crosses. I believe Red Rangers are supposed to be slower growing, and ready between 10 and 16 weeks. I raised a few last year, and they were all over the place in size. I started butchering them at 9 weeks, and did the last, which were hens, at about 14 weeks. Some grew fast and some took their time, but all of them were good sized. I prefer to do 2 or 3 at a time, so it works for me to have fast and slow growers. If you want to do it all at once, I can see where it would be frustrating.

3. BurchFunnyFarm

Jan 3, 2014
    Deweyville, Texas
    No, I'm okay with doing a few here and there. Honestly it's helpful since both my freezers are full of fish, game, and my raised ducks and chickens. I have just been really confused about the size variation because both sexes are varied in size so much. They are all extremely happy and active, no leg problems even with full access to food. I was just wondering if they might be suffering from something wrong, or just done growing and wasting feed. This is my first time raising this breed and so far I really enjoy them. They are very calm and sweet birds. They also integrated into my main flock flawlessly from day I took them out of the brooder. How were the breasts when butchered compared to Cornish X?

4. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Freedom Rangers, red rangers, really all of the more rustic (sower) growing meat birds are more tricky to grow.

They need the correct amount of feed per day (and that very's by strain), if you don't give them enough they will not grow to their genetic potential. Grass is about as digestible to a chicken as it is to a human, so when chickens are free ranging they are really looking for things like bugs, and seeds.

as a rule slower growing broilers will take 9-12 weeks.

5. BurchFunnyFarm

Jan 3, 2014
    Deweyville, Texas
    [​IMG]

I waited like you suggested and look at my finished birds! I just processed a batch and was in absolute awe of their leg size! I'm going to have some delicious baked and BBQ chicken thighs! The breasts weren't as big as I expected but still looked good. Just wanted to update you.

6. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Glad I could be of some help!

7. CatalanState

CatalanState Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2014
    Next State in Europe
    These are photos of my freedom rangers processed at 14 weeks old, his weight was 7,5 lb and 6,17 lb dressed up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. BurchFunnyFarm

Jan 3, 2014
    Deweyville, Texas
    I didn't weigh mine but I bet they were in that range too. Yours look awesome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by