Slow Growth?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DaniMomma, Apr 2, 2017.

1. DaniMomma

DaniMomma Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2017
    At what point should I be worried about slow growth and is there anything I can do about it? We have a dozen 5 week old chicks (3 each: Easter Eggers, Buff Orpingtons, Golden Laced Wyandottes, and Black Jersey Giants) and we also have a 2 week old EE roo. One of my giants keeps falling further and further behind the other girls. At this point, she's about the same size as the 2 week roo and she hasn't feathered as much as the other girls either. Is this something I should worry about? They are all on medicated chick feed (and one is getting supplements for wry neck, but that's a different story). I know giants can develop more slowly than other breeds, but she's also way behind the other two giants we have. Up to this point, we've just taken the wait and see approach, and I have a feeling that's all we'll be able to do. I just want to make sure there isn't anything else I should be doing.

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Usually larger breeds will feather slower, and males will feather (usually) slower than females :) Do you have any pictures?

3. DaniMomma

DaniMomma Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gosh, taking photos of chicks isn't easy! [​IMG] I tried to get a couple of her (him?) Next to one of our other giants for comparison.

4. DaniMomma

DaniMomma Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2017
    It's hard to tell from the photos, but she's definitely behind in feathering compared to the others and about half the size. I didn't realize just how drastic the size difference was until I saw her snuggled up next to the roo and realized they are the same size.

5. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Just in general to the rest of the flock, she looks really small, are you sure its a Jersey?

6. DaniMomma

DaniMomma Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2017
    She came from the hatchery in a box full of black giants. I was there when the co-op took them out of the boxes (at my co-op, if you aren't there when they open, you don't get chicks) so it wasn't a mix up at the co-op. So she should be a JG-she looked exactly line the other JGs and was the same size as all of them when we got them. I started giving her some vitamins and making sure the other girls aren't keeping her from the food and water (they aren't). It's still too early to tell if that's helping, but I hope it does. Her size isn't my only concern-she's about 2 weeks or so behind the rest in feathering as well, so it's an issue in overall development.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I wonder if it's a bantam?
    Not much you can do.
    Could be a genetic mutation/deformity, or funky incubation, that caused nutrient uptake issues..
    Another bird from same group has wry neck?

8. DaniMomma

DaniMomma Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2017
    Yep. Also a one of my JGs, but I've been giving her supplements ever since we noticed it and she's doing much better and hasn't shown any symptoms in almost a week. I read that you need to treat it for 2 weeks after symptoms stop so I'm continuing to give them to her for another week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by