Slow moving waddling and swollen watery belly hen

newhobbie

Chirping
Dec 2, 2015
Mt. Carmel, TN
I have a 9 month old black australorp that has suddenly developed some worrying symptoms. She seemed fine yesterday but today she was just sitting by the water watching all the other chickens. I picked her up (which is odd because my chickens arent that friendly) and checked her over but found no wounds. I sat her back down and she waddled away from me. I took a video of her waddling thats linked below. Her abdomen also feels like a water balloon. Soft and fluid filled. I thought maybe she is egg bound? Does that sound like the right symptoms? Please someone help me help my girl!

I'm sorry about your hen. Do you see any evidence of mites or parasites around her vent? Has she been laying normal eggs?

You could go ahead and treat her for being egg bound and see what happens. If she's been laying rubber eggs then she may be internally laying, which is never a good thing, either.

I hope she improves!

Im not sure about her laying as I have about 30 hens that all free range at the barn and lay in one of 3 places (I spent a fortune on nesting boxes but they choose to lay in my hay) so I dont know which egg is hers or if she has been laying at all. I brought her in the house tonight, she is currently resting in a dark room and I gave her 1000mg of calcium about an hour ago. Shes eating fine. I searched her body for fly strike since she was lethargic and I had a case of that this summer and didnt see any bugs of any kind.

Is she doing any better?

I had a hen do that once and found she was infested with mites. I can't remember if I gave her a warm bath, but I do know I treated her for the mites. After a few days with great treats and rest she was fine. I always thought it was mites in that case, so it's always a good idea to check.

If you aren't seeing any mites then it is most likely something more serious with your hen. Hopefully the calcium will help!

Hi, no change today. Shes eating and drinking and using the bathroom but wont stand and walk. I have looked her over several times and not seen any bugs, but I'll google mites and see exactly what to look for and check her again. I gave her a second dose of calcium today and put about 2ccs of lubricant in her vent. Still hoping its egg bound and not something worse :(

I'm sorry you are having trouble.

It looks like she may have an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer or tumors.
Keep her hydrate and offer her some vitamins in her water and extra protein to eat like egg, fish or meat. Sometimes supportive care is the best you can do. If her abdomen is fluid filled some people have limited success in draining the fluid to give them some relief. Antibiotic treatment is usually not effective.

Peritonitis and internal egg laying issues:
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/6-causes-of-chicken-swollen-abdomen.aspx

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1120255/poorly-hen

She laid an egg this morning and is now walking upright! Her abdomen is still squishy like before but Im hoping that it was just egg bound that had her feeling bad. Thank you so much for your messages and support.

She laid an egg this morning and is now walking upright! Her abdomen is still squishy like before but Im hoping that it was just egg bound that had her feeling bad. Thank you so much for your messages and support.

That is GREAT news! Was it a normal eggs? I'd love to hear if she just goes completely back to normal after this. It sounds very encouraging for her!

I'd mark that hen with a zip tie around her leg. Chances are you will be seeing that one with problems again or find her dead on the floor of the coop. If she were mine, I'd be culling her while the meat is still good.

Back
Top Bottom