Slow, odd chick

mydadsjoy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
I have a flock of 15 EE chicks. They're just over 4 weeks old. So cute and healthy!

However, one of them has been odd since she arrived, and is now starting to worry me. She was slower than the rest from the start. As she's grown she's slowed down. She waddles. It almost looks like it hurts her to walk. She's also a little "hunched". I'm wondering if she has some kind of birth defect perhaps? She eats and drinks fine. She's just getting slower every day now. She walks a little ways, then sits down.

It figures - this very one was my daughter's favorite - also from day one - due to unusual markings. As she's feathering in she's so pretty and brighter red than the rest - but - I fear for her. Anyone?

Sometimes it does happen and you never figure out what's "not quite right". She could have a spinal deformity, which makes walking difficult. Maybe as she's growing this is causing her to slow down....One can only guess.

I would just keep an eye on her and maybe pamper her a bit with some chopped egg yolk to give her a little protein boost, and maybe some vitamins in her drinking water......Truly there's not much a person can do but just kind of wait and see how she grows.....

Gosh, I know what you mean, it always seems to happen to a special chick......

Good luck with her and I hope she will be OK,
Sharon

Thank you both. We are pampering her - making sure she is fed and watered well. She may end up being our little pet amongst the "working" gals. Poor little thing.

Little update - "Spot" (as my daughter named her) is doing very well! She is still smaller than the rest but spunky and healthy. She is personable and curious. Nice chicken! One other chick exhibited the same symptoms, but she is better as well. Small but - again - spunky. This one chases our cats around the yard! Too stinkin' funny!

I'm not sure if this was a genetic thing or if they were ill - in any case we will be certain to identify their eggs and not hatch their babies - but it seems as if they are going to be an asset to our flock.

Yay!

This gives me hope for my little Emma who seems to live in low gear at 5 weeks old
20210218_152303.jpg

Back
Top Bottom