Slow on eggs; molt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by corinnep27, Aug 24, 2014.

1. corinnep27

corinnep27 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2014
    I have 13 of laying age, who have laid before, and I am getting maybe 2 eggs a day. All 5 of my black ones came from a farm, and came looking rough. Had they molted? They do have new feathers coming in, but I didn't know of their appearance was from the rooster they were with and conditions they lived in? We at most get 4 eggs a day now, and that is rare. Today was 1 :( all is well with food, no predators, easy life! [​IMG]

2. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    The birds are most likely in a molt. The typical molting age is around 18 months, however something can cause them to molt earlier. I've had birds molt at 9 to 10 months. The birds also look kind of ratty. New feathers and low egg production are a clear sign of molt. If the rooster was rough with them they should still lay. I have a few orpingtons molting now. Age is really key in determining whether they are molting, but based off of the facts and pictures, I believe that the birds are molting. Just have to wait it out until you get more eggs!

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    How long have you had the hens? And what are you feeding them?

4. corinnep27

May 7, 2014

I have had my two buff orph for 4 months and they always laid one every other day. Got the 5 black orph 2 months ago and they are all on 16% layer feed. I started fermented feed about two days ago. (Also have 6, 19 week old pullets, not laying yet).

Really hard to tell who is laying what. I know one of my buffs is laying every other day and the other buff is not laying at all. The five black ones all look alike for the most part and I usually don't see who is in there laying. Only one egg today!!! :(

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  5. corinnep27

May 7, 2014

The black ones are under a year old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by