slow or stop temp spike

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by panner123, Jan 14, 2009.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    One of the 4H members asked me why my temps were always about the same. Where hers was all over the place. After asking her a few questions, I came to this. She never puts more than a dozen eggs in at a time and most of the time only 2 or 3 eggs. I never put less then 3 dozen in. It is my thinking that the amount of mass in the bator helps control the temp. I am going to try 3 batches in the near future to try and prove this. One batch will have 12 eggs, one with 12 eggs plus baggies with sand in them and one with 36 eggs in it. If my thinking is correct, the one with only 12 eggs will have a temp all over the place. The other 2 should be stable. I do know the 3 bators I loaded last Wednesday has not been lower than 99.5 or higher than 100.5. Now saying that I will watch the temp spike around 105 in the next hour.

2. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Fill in the unused spots in the bater with "clean" nest eggs.

3. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    The THREE bators that you filled???????? [​IMG]

How many eggs do you have in bators right now????[​IMG]

BTW - I think that your assumptions are correct. I think that a full bator will maintain better temps!!

Cindy

4. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    This may not mean anything, but I know that when you build an incubator for snake eggs, you're supposed to use full water bottles to help hold heat, since you generally won't be getting dozens and dozens of eggs...

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    A lot of us use baby food jars filled with water, or baggies, or something to help hold the temps. I just try to keep my bator full, and I never toss eggs unless they are stinkers. It is true that a full bator will hold heat better. I believe there are some that use bricks or rocks as a heat sink.

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    #1California Chick :

The THREE bators that you filled???????? [​IMG]

How many eggs do you have in bators right now????[​IMG]

Cindy

I set 108 eggs last Wednesdy. Next Wednesday I will be loading up 6 bators with 36 eggs in each. Not for myself, I am putting these bators in different classrooms for the kids to take care of. Each student usually gets to take home a chicks if the parents will let them.​

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by