1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Slow shipping, worried!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alessadry, Mar 7, 2017.

1. alessadry

alessadry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Hello,
    I haven't posted here for a while. but I am getting baby chicks shipped from Cackle Hatchery. So I did my research and they reassured me that they can travel from Missouri to Arizona since they have up to 72 worth of egg yolk in their system. So they were shipped first thing Monday, at 12 they were at Lebanon post office and at 2PM they were in Kansas City ready to be flown my way. Today tracking shows"in transit to destination" no info on where they are and this info is very frustrating and useless to me.

Anyhow what is worrying me is that tracking says they will arrive Thursday! To me from Monday to Thursday is 4 days but when I chatted with Cackle they said it's 3 days and was reassured that they have gel and some food in the box. I am still worried and ****** off, also because I was reading people who were shipped chicks to Puerto Rico or Alaska and they arrived in 2 days.

Cackle say to not worry that they will reimburse me for any losses, but that is not the point! I don't want to feel guilty for putting these poor babies through such a hardship! I plan to arrive at the post office ASAP as soon as they call but the post office is about 30 minutes away from my home and its a bumpy ride being in the country.

Has anybody had chicks shipped in 4 days? Should I give them water in the car? Being bumpy I am afraid the water could spill and they would get chilled. Any advice?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    They will be fine. Wait till you get them home to the brooder with water and food. Maybe this will make you feel better---I missed a egg in my incubator when I moved the rest to the hatcher----long story. I am a little hard of hearing so I did not hear the chick for days. 11 days after its hatch day I thought I see something in the bottom of the cabinet incubator move. I got on my knee's, sure enough a healthy, live chick----that was hungry and wanted some water. I pulled the trays out and found the shell still in the turner rack and sure enough I remember the egg, plus it was marked and dated. Dated to hatch 11 days before I found it. I put it in the brooder and it was a right good bit smaller than its sibling but it caught up with them in a few weeks. Good Luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. alessadry

Mar 3, 2011
    Wow, PDRiverman, that was a looong time for the chick to make it, sounds like a super chick! Your story helped me feel better, thanks. Hopefully, they'll be fine, I tend to over worry as you can see.

1 person likes this.
  4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I have had bantam chicks to hatch on day 18/19 and they have to sit in the hatcher till day 22 and they are fine. I would not worry at all for 4 to 5 days max. Get the brooder plugged in and food ready----they coming!!! Good Luck

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I've shipped a lot of packages Priority and they often give a date that is inaccurate. They also skip scanning packages quite often. So, things suddenly show "out for delivery" when they haven't been scanned since the post office received them! All of this is so routine that the shipper isn't the least bit alarmed by it. Frustrating, yes. But, most of the time, all is well.

ETA: I've also seen them intentionally slow packages to meet the date. Nashville to Houston is a direct and frequent flight and in theory, stuff should arrive next day. But, they won't do that because they want to sell next day service so it sits inside a sort center for a day... but I can't imagine they'd do it with a peeping box.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  6. alessadry

Mar 3, 2011
    OK, got them this morning! The status of shipping suddenly updated to "out for delivery." My post office though didn't call me right away, so I called them first. All 17 are OK except for one who is smaller and weaker and wont eat and drink like the others. I had to feed her some yolk from my finger mixed with some starter feed and dip her beak twice in water. It's gonna be a long night if I have to keep doing this.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    It's possible the chick was injured during the traumatic first day events or has gone into shock from the journey. I hope she comes through it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by