Slow to feather in after heavy moult...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Godiva, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I have a 4 year old d'Uccle hen that had a really heavy moult this fall and I have noticed she is not quite her perky self. She seems to be feeling the cold and so I have moved her and her buddy into the shed with a heat lamp. I have started giving her a high protein snack in the morning... but what I was wondering is - could I put her back onto the chick starter for a while as she is not laying and doesn't need the calcium etc of the layer.... What do you think? If so do I transition gradually or can I just go ahead and change it right away? Thanks.

2. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    I think they do need calcium during molt. One of the gals on here suggested adding ACV to their water to increase calcium absorption, which helps in feather production. For the life of me I can not remember who it was, but she knows her stuff. Come to think of it, it may have not been a gal at all. Big foot/Big mouth syndrome strikes again... Sigh...

3. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    OK, so if I add ACV to the water and maybe some dog food to her layer pellets? Or should I do a once a day treat of boiled egg, rolled oats and dog food?

4. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    I've heard you should give them cat food - higher in protein. Scrambled eggs too...I use ACV in their water all the time - they are not old enough to molt yet. I read it helps to keep internal parasite levels down...it's funny - if I don't give them the ACV in their water, they won't drink it!! [​IMG]

5. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    I tried to find that stupid thread but can't find it, sorry. I believe the poster stated to add acv to water and mix oyster shell and crushed egg shells into their food. Higher protein is suggested by many too. I would not do anything drastic though. They will need to adjust to a higher protein diet, their bodies are already working overtime to make new feathers, adding a bunch of protein into the mix may set them back a little, I do not know that to be a fact though, just how we do feed with all our animals. I would mix oyster shell, and egg shells if you save them, and get 20% feed to mix in with their layer formula 25-75 then 50-50 then 75-25 then 100% of the higher protein feed for a while. Then bring them back down the same way after they have feathered out and look like they are back to normal. You don't have to bring them off the 20%, in winter they will burn more calories keeping warm at night.

6. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    The dog food I have is 30% protein. Will try the ACV and also adding extra oystershell. She stuffed herself on some boiled egg mixed with oats soaked in warm water and a touch of kefir and dog food this morning. My other hen has just been broody and is now moulting! So she is also going to get some extras for a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by