Slow to hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by L&Schickens, Feb 4, 2009.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have 8 Wellies in the incubator and they seem to be slow to hatch. One piped yesterday afternoon and has made very little progress. Another one piped at about 3:00am and neither are making any noise. [​IMG] They are due to hatch today. Is there is problem with them? Are they not strong enough to get out? I don't want them to die in the shells. They are the only chicks I will get out of my champion roo who was killed by a raccoon. [​IMG] Should I start to worry?

2. JJSmith

JJSmith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2007
    Can you see if they are breathing in the eggs? Sometimes the pipped shells will move a bit? Some chicks take up to 24 hours to come out after pipping and since today is their actual hatch day I wouldn't be too concerned yet, as long as you can see some movement. Is the humidity high enough that they are not drying in the shells?

3. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    humidity was way low. [​IMG] I have been doing the "Dry" method and so have not been putting very much water in the incubator. I just filled it up. It was at %50 [​IMG]
    The eggs are not moving, but I can hear them breathing. I took them out to check.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  4. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    This video is awesome....It helped me to be patient.

I was really bad about monitoring humidity. I put a warm, wet wash cloth in my still air incubator and just watched - it was so hard to not to do something - I wish I had found this video explanation sooner!

My chick hatched though... I'll do better next time.
    [​IMG]

Good luck!

5. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I just hatched out 17 marans a week ago!! so I don't know why these see different. I do need to calm down. I just want these Wellie babies so badly I guess.
    Thanks for the help.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That video is awesome.

I'm going to show it to my kids!

7. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    The video is great !!! It gives encouragement to be patient.... trust me I suck at waiting.

Best of luck with the hatch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have 2 more peeping, so I guess they are ok!!!

9. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    2 are out and doing fine! I hope one is a Wellington Jr. [​IMG]

10. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    thats a good start not just let them peep in the incubator and let them cheere on their brothers and sisters

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by