Slow to mature hens?

ValerieNelson

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 14, 2013
Greetings! I'd appreciate your thoughts on a puzzling issue.

I bought young-ish pullets at Agway, thought to be hatched in May. They were beyond chicks, but not as big as the pullets they usually sell. They are dark brown with a few black tail feathers, and I was told they are Red Stars. All appeared to be the same breed and age within days or at least a week or so.

One of the girls is quite mature with fully developed secondary sex characteristics and the others are just as big but with hardly a comb, waddle or earlobe yet... they are there, but very immature. The mature girl has been laying consistently for over a month, and not even a funny looking early egg from the others.

Any thoughts on why I'd have such difference in maturity?

Thanks!
Valerie

Pictures?

They should all be laying if they are production reds. Maybe you only have one? There is quite a variance in when birds start laying. Are they squatting?

Mrs K

Attachments

• hens4.jpg
    hens4.jpg
    674.9 KB · Views: 7
  • hens3.jpg
    hens3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • hens2.jpg
    hens2.jpg
    851.4 KB · Views: 7
  • hens1.jpg
    hens1.jpg
    860.4 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for responding! Here's the flock. They really look identical except for the maturity of their headgear, and that only the mature one is laying.

What do you think?

Valerie

Did the “mature one” have the same comb style as the others? The others look like Buckeyes. I am wondering if they are all production red (Red star should be lighter), & the smaller combs have buckeye mixed in.

Did the “mature one” have the same comb style as the others? The others look like Buckeyes. I am wondering if they are all production red (Red star should be lighter), & the smaller combs have buckeye mixed in.
When they were younger they matched perfectly. All had tiny pea-combs when they were looking mature feather-wise, same comb style, then suddenly the mature one began to grow comb, waddle and earlobes. I assumed the others were just slightly slower. I have to confess, maybe Agway said Red Cross... or maybe they were just wrong.

When you buy at a feed store out of the bins, people stop and pick them up to hold them, and then just put them down in the handy bin, often mixing up birds.

I always tend to think, oh, they have redden-ed up they should start laying, but really it is nearly 4 weeks from that point, to eggs. And where are you? Because as it is full on dark here at 5:00, unless you are adding light, they just might not be getting enough light.

I know they say pullets will lay through the short days of winter, but I find that is only true if the START laying before the days get short. Otherwise they wait for the days to lengthen. I would strongly expect these girls to be laying regular by January 15.

Back
Top Bottom