slow weight gain

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Karin, May 28, 2007.

1. Karin

Karin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    Hello All,

I am a first time chicken mom and my chicks are now 4 weeks old (2 RIR and 1 Aracauna). All are feathering out nicely and no health problems. I'm keeping them in a 75 gallon stock tank in the garage on pine shavings at the correct temperatures and they are being fed a Start-N-Grow ration with medication in it. I've been monitoring them all closely.

I've recently purchased an Eglu for their adult housing and put them in the run on the lawn during the daytime and back in the brooder at night.

I've noticed that the lowest one in the pecking order is not as fleshy on her keel as the others, although they are the same ages. She's a bit behind the others in her feathering as well. Her poop and appetite appear normal with no nostril discharge or sneezing. I have a 12 hole metal feeder and figured possibly she was last in line at the trough or getting pushed around a bit but nothing cannibalistic or featherpicking going on. I'd like to see her gain more weight and started today giving her my special attention along with some treats.

Does anyone have recommendations on how I can get more weight on this one or should I leave well enough alone?

Karin in Nevada

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    It may just be her breeding. Some lines of chicks just develop slower. I have 4 different lines of orpingtons here and one is noticabley slower than the rest. By the time the others hit 6 weeks this line looks 5 weeks. but they do catch up in the end.

You can always offer cooked eggs, cooked rice and kale.

3. Karin

Karin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    Thank you for your response...I guess I'll continue to encourage her and be patient.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by