slow wing development?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Moselle, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    In my order of 7 chicks, I got 2 RIR. One of them is not developing her wing feathers as quickly as all the others, including the other RIR. They are all a week old and have nice long wing feathers coming in; the one RIR has just shortish wing feathers so far. She is about the same size as the other RIR, and is acting fine and healthy otherwise. Do some chicks develop more slowly?

2. sunnysidecluckers

sunnysidecluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my leghorns is like that. It is the biggest of the three. It seems the smaller one is farther ahead in the feather department.

3. Gallus_domesticus

Gallus_domesticus Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    Arizona
    I'm having a similar problem with one of my EE's. She was born about a week before the other two (I think) but after a few weeks now she is only half their size. She started out just a bit smaller but, the older ones had more feathers. Now she seems to be developing as the others did, just much more slowly. Is it common to have a runty chick who develops more slowly than normal? Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Pullets often get their wing feathers faster than the little roos so maybe she's really a he.

5. Moselle

Jan 17, 2008
    :/Please don't tell me that! We don't want to say good-bye to Mary (or Marvin [​IMG])!

6. sunnysidecluckers

sunnysidecluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Yikes, Yes please don't say that!! Or my Emma will be an Emmet!![​IMG], [​IMG]

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    If it's from a hatchery, I'd say you have a little roo too, as most hatcheries feather sex RIR.

Jody

8. Moselle

Jan 17, 2008
    Well, phooey. I guess I'd better start preparing my kids for her/his likey departure. And finding a new home...ugh. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by