slowed/stopped egg production/

Discussion in 'Quail' started by snyd08, Jul 30, 2011.

1. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    since all of this heat about 2 weeks ago came through. 100-110 heat index was just crazy... my texas a&m breeders stopped laying all together and now my jumbo browns have stopped too. i have another pair of coturnix that are laying (just came into lay a few days ago but are laying daily) all birds are on 24% protein feed and have fresh food and water daily. in the extreme heat i even change the water multiple times and put ice in them when need be. i take care of my birds as best possible and thats why im a bit bummed that they have stopped laying. bedding is normal pine shavings as well as grass hay that i change weekly from their "runs" bedding inside their "homes" in no way are these birds stressed or crowded. the cages are more than acceptable in size. the birds have a lot of room to run. 6 birds at most in an average sized rabbit hutch. none of these birds are on wire floor(raised).. so my question is : is this normal for quail to take a break for a few weeks? my chickens dont do this..

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    My quail have their molt time. My Texas A and Ms are always the first always to do this, they stop laying for 2 weeks and chill a bit and then get back in lay.

3. snyd08

Jun 17, 2011
    go figure today i pulled 3 from one colony, 1 from a pair and another from a trio. wasnt getting more than one egg a day from them for 2 weeks and today they all seemed to want to sqeeze them out. ha either way im not short on quail or eggs. i shoulda put them in the fridge to eat but decided to store them in the cartons for incubation next week. my bators have pretty much been packed out since march! [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have had females stop laying for a week or 2 before. I don't know why, what causes them to stop or connected it with anything. None of them had anything wrong with them and they started back up eventually. As long as they are still active, eating and pooping, then I would think all is well. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    For what it's worth, my Bobs are still laying somewhat, regardless of the heat here. Got 18 GG females, and I'm averaging 11 eggs per day on the hot muggy 105+ heat index days.......but get 14 / 15 on the cooler thunderstorm days. They're gettin' 17 hours of artificial / natural light a day. No doubt, this hot humid heat plays a role in productivity on the gals. But, they have been churnin' out eggs since early March or so (with the aid of a heat lamp and 17 hours of light). I can't complain. These birds have been good to me, but I've been good to them, also. High protein feed, plenty of clean water, and full shade all time is summer.

6. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    definitely getting smaller eggs now, makes sense they are a large % water, hot days my ladies don't have it in them, I agree, soon as its cooler for a day though they ramp up, can't wait for fall, must be one of the best times for Quail?

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Are you adding vit. c in the water? that may help a little.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My coturnix are weird...this is the time of year when they really 'get kicking' on egg production. I haven't been able to get gamebird starter since I ran out, so I've been giving them 20% chick starter or 16% layer ration (whichever I have with me when I notice they've run out...the eggs aren't selling anyway). They're still kicking out 6-7 eggs daily, so I guess it's okay [​IMG]

I believe my hen count is either 9 or 10, and some are 'old' (2 1/2 years or more) and some are 'young' (6-7 weeks), so it's not bad.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  9. snyd08

Jun 17, 2011
    no vitamin c here. i'v heard about it i just dont know much about it and dont ever add something that i dont know how much to add or what not.. also do you actually take a vitamin c tab and crush it up in the water or is there a solution for birds??

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I just crush a 500 mg tablet and sprinkle little bits to each waterbottle. Not to the buttons though. I don't mess with them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by