Slowly losing weight, high-stepping, now difficulty walking

ihaveasunrae

Chirping
8 Years
May 21, 2014
What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Road Island Red, 22 weeks old, slowly losing weight
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Red has been slowly losing weight despite eating and drinking normally. 2 days ago I noticed her high-stepping, or raising her feet all the way up when taking steps, now she has difficulty keeping her legs under her and just wants to sit. She has also had a poopy looking butt the last 3 days. It has been very cold here (well below zero) so I brought them into the shed the last 4 days and so she might have some stress. The weight loss has been noticeable though for a few weeks.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Slowly over 2 weeks, sudden onset of leg weakness the last 2 days.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. We had to cull another girl over a week ago because she slowly was losing weight and eventually just sat hunched and fluffed up and miserable. All chickens were de-wormed because of that, given Corid, and vitamin water.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Appetite is fine…layer feed, scratch feed to supplement through this cold spell, a treat of oats/peas/yogurt/sunflower seeds/scrambled eggs for Christmas.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. somewhat runny, light brown, white dried poop in rear feathers
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Corid over the last 3 days, de-wormed with Fenben 5 days ago
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Self-treatment
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Pine flakes in coop, straw bedding when in the shed the last couple of days with the cold spell

I’m worried that this could be related to the last chicken that fell ill, however she never acted lame or uncoordinated, the one we culled also had some crop issues that we treated. I have 5 other girls and they seem fine. Red is being quarantined, her crop feels fine, and she’s eating and drinking. She struggles to put weight through her legs when first standing and then her legs are shaking when she walks and she is doing that high-stepping gait. Her butt is the only one in the flock that looks messy. Please help!! I don’t want to lose another girl in just 2 weeks! Thank you!

Last edited:
I’m not any help, but actually am dealing with a similar issue and cannot figure out what’s wrong. They get slowly thinner, lose their ability to walk, and then stay that way for upwards of a month and then just one day die. Mine have healthy appetites, drink water, take meds, have some suspect poop that’s either dark brown or greenish…but otherwise look perfectly healthy other than not walking. Comb is red, he crows, eyes are bright and alert…not fluffed up. I’m currently treating for Candida since a couple birds have white on their combs and vitamin deficiencies…
EA1E34F0-ACC8-449D-BD72-B6E4C4DBB2F8.jpeg

I’m starting to wonder if her feet are hurting her. When I bend them she makes a whimpering croak sound, holds her beak open and sounds like she breathes more heavily. She has darkened areas on the tops of her feet but no sores on the bottoms of her feet. She doesn’t want to put much weight through them.
image.jpg
image.jpg

It doesn’t look like any frostbite, but I would try to get her warm, and stop any treats or acratch. Offer both dry layer feed, and moisten a small amount to offer her. Scrambled egg is also good to try. Was she or any other vaccinated for Mareks disease? Vitamin E can be helpful in treatment of neurological issues, so I would give 500 IU daily of E (human kind) and 1/4 tablet daily of human B complex. If you should lose her or another one, I would contact your state vet lab to get a necropsy. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

It doesn’t look like any frostbite, but I would try to get her warm, and stop any treats or acratch. Offer both dry layer feed, and moisten a small amount to offer her. Scrambled egg is also good to try. Was she or any other vaccinated for Mareks disease? Vitamin E can be helpful in treatment of neurological issues, so I would give 500 IU daily of E (human kind) and 1/4 tablet daily of human B complex. If you should lose her or another one, I would contact your state vet lab to get a necropsy. Here is a list of state vets:
This has been my approach along with some activated charcoal in case it’s a toxin of sorts. He’s getting vitamin B complex, Vitamin E, and poultry cell in scrambled eggs.

The feet do feel warm like they’re swollen or painful, but nothing is infected or broken. And I’ve lost two other birds this exact same way which makes me think no injury is causing it.

I plan to take this boy in for necropsy if he doesn’t make it. :-(

They all came from a hatchery—our neighbor let us pick which ones we wanted the day they were delivered. I’m not sure if they were vaccinated. I will try the E and B complex. I soaked her feet in a warm Epsom salt bath and she seemed to really like that…she even fell asleep.

She’s really staggering around…can barely walk. I don’t know what to do 😩 I don’t want to have to cull another one of my girls if there’s something I am missing that could save her! I noticed she regurgitated a bunch of water up after drinking. I’ve never seen her do this before. I wonder if it’s because she pitched forward when trying to walk?

I noticed she regurgitated a bunch of water up after drinking.
Spitting up water - check to see that her crop is emptying overnight.
If the crop is not empty in the morning, begin treating her according to this article, this is the methods I use for my hens: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Photos of her poop?
A video of her movements may be helpful. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Extra Vitamins that contain B1(Thiamine) should not be given when you are treating with Corid. Did you give vitamins during this time?

You dewormed with Fenbendazole for 5 days in a row correct? Dose at 0.23ml per pound of weight?

If you have finished with the Corid, then I'd start her on vitamin therapy. Give her 400IU Vitamin E along with 1/4 tablet vitamin B-Complex daily. A treat of egg along with her normal feed would be good to give. Cut out the scratch and all other goodies until she comes around right.

The high stepping could have been due to her crop not emptying - just a guess on my part. I've seen it with others here on BYC and with one of my own hens too. It's an odd type of gate, but the step is almost like to press up the crop to help it empty.
If the crop/digestive system is not functioning well, then a hen will lose weight, condition and decline. Do keep in mind that often a crop "problem" is often just a symptom of an underlying condition like reproductive disorders, infections, worms, coccidiosis, etc.

Spitting up water - check to see that her crop is emptying overnight.
If the crop is not empty in the morning, begin treating her according to this article, this is the methods I use for my hens: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Photos of her poop?
A video of her movements may be helpful. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Extra Vitamins that contain B1(Thiamine) should not be given when you are treating with Corid. Did you give vitamins during this time?

You dewormed with Fenbendazole for 5 days in a row correct? Dose at 0.23ml per pound of weight?

If you have finished with the Corid, then I'd start her on vitamin therapy. Give her 400IU Vitamin E along with 1/4 tablet vitamin B-Complex daily. A treat of egg along with her normal feed would be good to give. Cut out the scratch and all other goodies until she comes around right.

The high stepping could have been due to her crop not emptying - just a guess on my part. I've seen it with others here on BYC and with one of my own hens too. It's an odd type of gate, but the step is almost like to press up the crop to help it empty.
If the crop/digestive system is not functioning well, then a hen will lose weight, condition and decline. Do keep in mind that often a crop "problem" is often just a symptom of an underlying condition like reproductive disorders, infections, worms, coccidiosis, etc.
Thanks for your advice! Her crop has been empty in the morning and I will check again tomorrow morning. She acts like she can hardly keep her legs under her now and she staggers around. Her poop “looks” normal—large, well formed, white cap on top—but her hind end stays messy, almost wet. She’s in the coop for the night but I will get a video tomorrow if her walking around! I just started giving her vitamin B complex yesterday, the same day I took her off Corid. And yes, that is how I dewormed her. She’s due for her second dose (to rid the eggs) but I’m almost afraid to give it to her since she seems so fragile right now. I never did see any worms in her poop. Thanks for chiming in!!

Back
Top Bottom