SLR digital camera

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by reallemons1, Nov 2, 2008.

1. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    I see so many beautiful pictures on this site. The clearness and detail of many photos here are just stunning. What is your favorite SLR digital camera? And lens? I am planing to buy one and am really not sure what to get. I want one that can capture great detail and can stop movement (blur). It needs to be fairly simple to operate. I was thinking a Sony Alpha 300, but wonder if a Cannon or Nikon might be better. I can't go much over $600. Thanks for any advice you can give.
    Lisa

2. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    I use a Kodak easyshare DX6490 and a Kodak easyshare Z712 IS both are good and come with software.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Well the $600 price tag puts mine over the top for you, but mine is a Canon Rebel EOS Xt 10.2 megapixel with a standard zoom to normal lens. I want more lens but they are pricey. the list for my camera is $1100, but I got it for $700 on sale at the start of the year.

4. Trollkiller

Trollkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Lake Como, Fl. 32157
    Before you buy any camera check out the ratings on this site. http://www.dpreview.com/

I
    really like Fuji digital cameras. If you want a point and shoot camera you can find some great ones for a lot less than $600.

If you want one you can change lens on AND you have a SLR film camera, see what is available in your brand. In other words if you have a Nikon camera look to see if their digitals will fit your lenses.

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I have a Canon Digital Rebel, too. I love it.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I also have a canon rebel, but of late I am using a small Sanyo - its just easier to pop in my pocket when I need it - the canon is pretty big and gets in the way when I'm trying to do other things.

7. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I use Canon. I own both a 30D and a 40D.

While I love them, I don't like the crop factor (if you ever want to do fish eye lenses, this can be a problem).

You can buy a basic canon for a good price.

Try Bhphotovideo.com they are usually cheaper than Best Buy. And if you find a cheaper price elsewhere, call, they'll usually match the price.

They are a BIG store and many professionals, including myself by a lot of equipment from them and have had no hassle returns.

8. debilorrah

Wow Canon is popular with people on this board....

9. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    well i'm a nikon shooter and recently posted some images shot with a fisheye with a crop sensor. there are some fisheye options for canon too

i would stick with nikon or canon and the nikon/canon discussion is as hotly debated as pc/mac.

i would get the best you can afford either brand

10. debilorrah

You are right about Nikon/Canon being the best. Canon, I KNOW has the best customer service that I have ever dealt with and I have friend that is a Nikon fan. I have been with Canon since WAAAAY before digital. And I love the ease of features. Makes a begginer feel like a pro.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by