1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

slug-proof food feeder?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by poplarbird, Nov 16, 2016.

1. poplarbird

poplarbird Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    Australia
    we found an army of slug last few nights gathering after dark. some eats off the pellet &bits on the ground, and the rest crawl into the food feeder and eat the pellets.. it is so disgusting!.

Has anyone design a feeder that stop slug from getting in for feast ?

2. George8207

George8207 Just Hatched

Nov 3, 2016
    I thought chickens eat slugs. If I'm wrong, I'll have to erect the bat house I have wanted to do for a few years but have had to postpone due to finances. Bats feed at night and I believe they eat anything small that moves. I know they are great predators for the moths that lay eggs on corn. I'm hoping they also eat the flies that lay apple maggots.

I hang my feeder from the roof supports. It turns when the chickens eat and I tried to put it on a platform but the chickens kept knocking it over. It is hanging again. I bought my feeder from a feed store.

3. poplarbird

poplarbird Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    Australia
    I can't picture how it work? do you have a similar one from google ?

Chicken love slugs, but they are on roost at night when slug visits.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  4. George8207

George8207 Just Hatched

Nov 3, 2016
    The feeder I have (the water container also) have top handles which move the hanging string to the center. You can use a rope or chain instead of the nylon string I use. When the string is in the center the feeder moves as the chickens peck the food. I don't like it turning but the chickens must not mind as they eat from it anyway. However, now that I think of it, I'll check to see if I can hang it in a way which will keep it from turning as much - tie it on two sides - it would still swing some but I'd rather it be hanging than on the ground.

5. George8207

George8207 Just Hatched

Nov 3, 2016
    I should mention, however, that when hanging, make sure it is hanging level. I doubt it would matter much with the feeder, but the water container is another story. I didn't check the string location one time and it was not in the middle so the water container was hanging lop-sided and allowed all the water to drain out.

6. George8207

George8207 Just Hatched

Nov 3, 2016
    In rereading your post, you appear to be asking where I got the feeder. I got it from a local feed store. You could find one by looking on google or perhaps one of the sponsors for this website.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by