Sluggish hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bridget399, May 30, 2010.

1. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    Yesterday I let my flock out to free range all day, as my husband and I were home doing yardwork. Toward the end of the evening, I notice one of my RIR hens, just laying down beside the coop. Thinking she was hot I put her into the fish pond, up to her wings, but no deeper. She seemed to perk up a little. Later on, before they were going to roost, I found her just standing there, in a sort of a daze. When she went into the coop, she drank a ton of water but had diarreah, that was very runny and white. After drinking for a while, she did fly up and roost. This morning, I found a broken egg where she normally sleeps ( I don't know if this is significant), but she is back to normal.
    She is one year old and otherwise healthy. I did feel for a stuck egg, but being as that I've never had to do this before, I didn't know what to feel for, but didn't find any buldges anyway.
    Did she have an egg stuck (and I just couldn't feel it)? Or do you think they were out in the heat too long? Should I wait until evening to let them free range? They have access to water all day (and night), all the time...[​IMG]

2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

My guess is that she'll be fine after a good night's sleep. We featherless peeps have a habit of worrying too much.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hmmmmm Bridget, maybe she did have trouble passing the egg but now is okay. Or if the egg broke inside her she may have an infection requiring antibiotic. Alternatively, could the egg have fallen upon impact? Yesterday wasn't so hot in PA as to cause a heat related problem.

Hopefully she's fine now. If it turns out not, try to post everything you can think of to help provide clues. You can use the 'sticky' in the beginning of the Emergencies section to help guide you. Bu't even go beyond it.

If she continues to have a problem, can you separate her and still have her be in the vicinity of her buddies so she doesn't stress too much but so that you can be sure what she is eating, drinking, pooping and laying? And if she continues to have a problem, check her very carefully for any wounds. And if stilla problem, give her 3 drops Polyvisol liquid childrens vitamins (without added iron) daily to try to keep up her strength while you sort this out. Administer via dropper dripping gently along her beak line so she swallows on her own without choking. Try to entice her with various healthy treats like cut up fresh berries or sunflower seeds. If they don't work she's sick and may well urgently need meds if she has an infection or inflammation. But maybe all is well now anyway!

Unfortunately I have to unplug for awhile right now but I'm sure others will be along. Keep us posted and I hope very much that she's fine now.
    JJ

4. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    Thanks JJ, I don't beleive it was the heat either, because they did fine all last summer. She was a year old last month, treated every three months with frontline to prevent mites (the whole group is sprayed, as prescribed by my vet). They have regular pine bedding(not cedar) and a perminate coop with covered pen. They are eating egg layer ration, with a seperate feeder for oyster shell. They had some cucumbers yesterday and cucumbers and tomatoes today, as a treat. They have access to fresh water at all times. I don't have any problems with pecking or disease. And they free range in my yard and woods, mostly digging for bugs and eating the weeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by