slugglish chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Julia Carver, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Julia Carver

Julia Carver New Egg

Nov 24, 2013
    I have a 2 year old New Hampshire Red. Three days ago I noticed that she was acting sluggish and spending time away from the other chickens. She is pulling her head in toward her shoulders, closing her eyes, and puffing up her feathers. I looked around the internet but I couldn't find anything out. I picked her up and she spit up yellow stuff. does anyone know how to help her?

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Spitting up yellow could be a sign of a impcted crop or other illnesses. Have you noticed any other symptoms? How is her breathing? Does her tail bob up and down when she breathes? Listen closely for any signs of wheezing or cough. is any mucus present in her nose? Is her crop hard or soft and is it
    emptying at night? How are her stools? What color
    are they? Any other symptoms you can think of. I
    know this is a lot of questions but each question can lead to specific clues of what's happening with her so if you can answer these questions it would be very helpful.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  3. gypsymom1

gypsymom1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2014
    Did you ever get any information about your chicken's symptoms? I am online tonight looking for answers to the same problem! She was healthy yesterday, and today she's inactive, closing her eyes while standing up, and when my son picked her up, he noticed she was "drooling' yellow stuff. I've got her separated from the rest of the girls now, but don't know if there's anything I can do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by