1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

slugs!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Momhen, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Momhen

Momhen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Our run borders a field and we have a few areas in the run which is a good daytime home for slugs. At night the run is invaded with slugs. I can't leave any hen feed out over night as the slugs devour it and leave their slime all over the dishes. I put out containers of beer to catch the slugs (they seemingly drink themselves to death) at night and remove them in the morning (I can't imagine that the beer is good for the hens). Is there anything else that I can do to get rid of the slugs, that won't be harmful to the hens? I wish the hens would eat the slugs but they aren't interested - I wouldn't be either!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Perhaps try laying down a thin line/border of salt around the area? Try pouring a thin line down in an area where it won't get scratched up or too water-logged if you can find such.

3. Balefire

Balefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Orwigsburg PA
    What about some ducks? Like Runner or Muscovie ducks?

4. Momhen

Momhen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Someone else suggested salt. We live in Northern Ireland and unfortunately it's far to wet here - the salt would only dissolve. Would that make any difference?? I also wouldn't want my hens getting to it as they peck at the grass and weeds growing through the wire fencing from the field.

The beer does work well and I can get cheap generic type beer. On several nights we caught over 60 slugs! is there any use for dead drunk slugs?????[​IMG]

5. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    i do not know what to do

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Some copper would stop them,but that can be expensive.I read if you border with straw they do not like to crawl over that.

7. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    my chickens eat slugs!!! im surprised yours havent

8. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Are talking little slugs or big slugs. Back in Illinois the slugs were at most 3/4 of an inch in length. Here in Tennessee we'll commonly see 4" long ones oozing along. One of my hens tried to eat one and the slime got all over her beak and she tried for several minutes to get it off. They all refuse to eat them or even try.

9. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Do you have any way to suspend or hang your feeder? This would prevent slugs from getting to the feed, and keep rodents from getting into it easily, too. Feed on the ground outside seems to create a lot of headaches! It might be worth your time, frustration, and beer money to put a simple post with a cross bar that you could hang your feeder from. [​IMG]

[email protected] acres farm :

DE - when they crawl through it - the little shards cut them and eventually they cease to exist. I would also add ducks to my flock. My ducks LOVE slugs!

Joni

With respect, DE does not quite work this way, though it will kill them if the DE stays dry. The problem is, outside on the ground, the DE tends to get wet and then it is pretty much ineffective against slugs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by