slugs!

Momhen

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 5, 2011
Our run borders a field and we have a few areas in the run which is a good daytime home for slugs. At night the run is invaded with slugs. I can't leave any hen feed out over night as the slugs devour it and leave their slime all over the dishes. I put out containers of beer to catch the slugs (they seemingly drink themselves to death) at night and remove them in the morning (I can't imagine that the beer is good for the hens). Is there anything else that I can do to get rid of the slugs, that won't be harmful to the hens? I wish the hens would eat the slugs but they aren't interested - I wouldn't be either!

Perhaps try laying down a thin line/border of salt around the area? Try pouring a thin line down in an area where it won't get scratched up or too water-logged if you can find such.

Someone else suggested salt. We live in Northern Ireland and unfortunately it's far to wet here - the salt would only dissolve. Would that make any difference?? I also wouldn't want my hens getting to it as they peck at the grass and weeds growing through the wire fencing from the field.

The beer does work well and I can get cheap generic type beer. On several nights we caught over 60 slugs! is there any use for dead drunk slugs?????
lol.png

Some copper would stop them,but that can be expensive.I read if you border with straw they do not like to crawl over that.

Are talking little slugs or big slugs. Back in Illinois the slugs were at most 3/4 of an inch in length. Here in Tennessee we'll commonly see 4" long ones oozing along. One of my hens tried to eat one and the slime got all over her beak and she tried for several minutes to get it off. They all refuse to eat them or even try.

Do you have any way to suspend or hang your feeder? This would prevent slugs from getting to the feed, and keep rodents from getting into it easily, too. Feed on the ground outside seems to create a lot of headaches! It might be worth your time, frustration, and beer money to put a simple post with a cross bar that you could hang your feeder from.
smile.png

jojo@rolling acres farm :

DE - when they crawl through it - the little shards cut them and eventually they cease to exist. I would also add ducks to my flock. My ducks LOVE slugs!

Joni

With respect, DE does not quite work this way, though it will kill them if the DE stays dry. The problem is, outside on the ground, the DE tends to get wet and then it is pretty much ineffective against slugs.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom