1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SLW 4 weeks, roo or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bridgetcanfly, Sep 20, 2016.

1. bridgetcanfly

bridgetcanfly Just Hatched

Sep 20, 2016
    Hervey Bay
    This is my Silver Laced Wyandotte Brian, who will be 4 weeks old this weekend. We were joking that it was a he from the start hence the name Brian, which would change to Brianne if it is actually a pullet [​IMG]

So far it's feathers are very slow coming in, it is aggressive and dominant to all the other chicks, very inquisitive and friendly to humans and is constantly trying to fly, kick and escape.

Obviously it'll become more apparent as it grows but for now what do you think, roo or hen?

[​IMG]

2. bridgetcanfly

Sep 20, 2016
    Hervey Bay
    "FantasyFeathers Today at 11:02 pmFlag
    its got some growing to do before you can be sure but im thinkin roo with that Roman nose. Wyndotte or Chantacler?"

It's my first time with chooks so I wouldn't have a clue but the chicken farm I bought him from had him written down as a Wyandotte and was certain of it themselves :/

3. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Im thinking cockerel... get some other opinions first though

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

5. chelseajgoss

chelseajgoss Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Wow. Alot lighter than my silver laced wyandotte when she was a baby [​IMG]i she was probably 2.5 to 3 weeks in the picture. Just looking at the comb, its small like a hen, but red like a roo. Hard to tell. Maybe comparing to mine will help you though?

6. bridgetcanfly

Sep 20, 2016
    Hervey Bay
    Thanks all, @chelseajgoss your girl seems to be more feathered than my little one and have a small ridged yellow comb in that photo whereas mine has a large pinkish red flat area. It is much lighter than yours too, perhaps mine isn't a Wyandotte then :confused:

7. chelseajgoss

chelseajgoss Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    The feathers on the chest look wyandottey <- haha.
    Id give it a little time. I thought my wyandotte was the ugliest thing until she was fully grown. Shes beautiful now. As for the color diffrence, i got a golden maran, who was the lightest one they had. The ithers were black. But she cane out looking normal. [​IMG]

8. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

That's a Silver Laced Wyandotte cockerel...

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Has to be a cockerel with a comb that red

10. bridgetcanfly

Sep 20, 2016
    Hervey Bay
    Thanks all, much appreciated that you took the time to respond :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by