SLW and Buttercup Chicks ~4 weeks old Sex Question :/

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jywel417, May 5, 2011.

1. jywel417

jywel417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    Another Sexing Question [​IMG] I got these guys as SR chicks from a local breeder and I am afraid both my SLW are roos [​IMG] So I thought I would consult the pros ! Thanks!

SLW #1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SLW #2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buttercup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Not sure on the SLW, but with the Buttercup. We have about 10 at various ages. The comb does seem pretty big, and most that we can sex now, the males had a comb developing much faster than the females. Best is to just wait a few more weeks, and you will be able to tell by the feathers. Males will have what looks like bad patterning and red leakage, but females will have good patterning that doesn't look like the feathers are all messed up [​IMG]
    There is one though we are a bit unsure of, we figure it's a male otherwise it has bad patterning if it's female. [​IMG]

3. jywel417

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    I think on the SLW maybe when they get a bit older I can tell by feather colors coming in but atm they both look rather pink in person [​IMG]

4. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    How old are they? I can see the ones is getting waddles already-that one is likely a boy. I'd give them a little more time.

5. jywel417

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    they are around 3 to 4 weeks old now [​IMG]

6. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Need more time for the SLW's, hatchery chicks tend to mature a little faster and I've had them turn red early but all were pullets, so a few more weeks and you will have a better idea.

7. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    As of right now the SLW's still look like pullets to me. Give them more time.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I think the 1st SLW is a boy, the second could go either way, but I'm leaning toward pullet. I think your buttercup is a pullet by the feather coloring coming in, males have a different color. (but I haven't raised any male buttercups) The comb is large for her age though, so a couple more weeks you should know for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by