SLW and Light Brahma Pullets or Cockerels? Lots of pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wannabe_goatmom, Jul 26, 2010.

1. wannabe_goatmom

wannabe_goatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    I have a Silver Laced Wyandotte and a Light Brahma who are 15 weeks old. I am hoping they are both girls but I am starting to have my doubts. What do you guys think?
    They are both from Mt. Healthy Hatchery. Thanks for looking! [​IMG]

Sylvia the Wyandotte
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Opal the Light Brahma
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

The SLW I say pullet - I see rounded feathers no pointy saddles BUT I'm not sure if the hackles are pointy or not - SLW get me on that they are such a mix of silver,white,and black its hard for my eyes to pick out pointiness on their necks. I say pullet still - lol very nice round saddle feathers - not much of a comb for an SLW male @ 15+ weeks old.

The Light Brahma is another story though - I see pointy hackles and just overall look says roo to me. - My light brahmas I had a pair - and I swore up till about 4 months old they were both females - lol - then the roo crowed. *snickers*

3. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Both Girls!! The Bigger breeds can fool ya... [​IMG]

4. countrychix

countrychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Frewsburg, NY
    Quote:X2

5. wannabe_goatmom

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    I'm hoping for both girls since I already have 2 boys. The LB looks like it has pointy hackle feathers but that is just the black part of the feather, there is white around the black and the feathers themselves are rounded on the ends. These two have me really confused. [​IMG]

6. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Quote:X2

ditto!

7. NewHen

NewHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I vote pullets.

8. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    SLW is definitely a pullet....the brahma on the other hand I am not sure of. Brahmas can be tricky because they take a lot longer to mature than other birds. This is what my confirmed dark brahma roo looks like at 16 weeks for a comparison.
    [​IMG]

And here is a 16 week old gold laced wyandotte roo with a a gold laced wyandotte hen behind him...now you can see why I said you were safe with saying the SLW was a pullett.
    [​IMG]

9. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    [​IMG]

Sorry, other pic of him with the kid did not come up as big as I would have liked...here is a better one of his head at 15 weeks.

10. wannabe_goatmom

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    Quote:Thanks so much for the pics. Your dark brahma was not nearly as red as my light one but yours had lots of saddle feathers already. That's what keeps throwing me off. I guess I'll just continue to wait. [​IMG]
    At least I can relax about the SLW.

I'm glad to see there are so many votes for pullets [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by