SLW can you confirm their genders?

chicknik11

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2015
Victoria, Australia
Hi everyone,

I have 8 slw's in total that will be 16 weeks this Wednesday. Four of them I'm positive are pullets but the other four I'm not sure. I'm leaning towards them being cockerels, so was wondering if anyone of you might be able to help me out? None of them have crowed yet, not even attempted to either. Please help me out.

TIA.

I have 4 SLWs since they were a couple days old. 2 were female, 2 were male. Seemed like it took a couple months before it was definitely discernable which ones were male. I think it was just the anxiety of not being able to sex them like a sex-link breed. I agree with everyone else who responded, your photos all look like roosters. At 16 weeks mine seemed to develop more noticeable tail feathers as compared to the females, who had no special plumage at the tail at the same age. #4 looks like his tail feathers are just starting to stick up, but he has hackles already. Same with the comb and wattles. The roos also got heavier faster than the girls did. You should soon see the males stand much taller. Mine weren't in a hurry to crow, but when they started, they never stopped. They are beautiful birds though. They get a lot of attention when they are strutting around.

Photos showing their backs would be helpful. Cockerels will have obvious saddle feathers coming in between the wings at that age. I think the last one *could* be a cockerel but the rest look like pullets from your photos.

Well, I'm going to go against the majority here. I think #4 MAY be a cockerel but the others look like pullets to me. They are 16 weeks old and Wyandottes are very difficult to tell the sex of! They begin to get red in the face earlier than other breeds and have a large flat comb. Anyway, I don't think the other 3 are cockerels at all.

Ok now I'm even more confused lol. I will try to get some more pictures of their backs tomorrow. The chicken in picture number four is the only one that has a nice green feather that's just started to come through in its tail and is the most red in the face. Will post again tomorrow for updated pictures. Thank you to everyone that's replied.

So here are some pictures of their backs, it wasn't easy as they just kept moving around but I hope it helps. I left out #4 as we all seem to agree he's a he.

Back
Top Bottom