SLW chick gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SOchick, Oct 26, 2009.

1. SOchick

SOchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    They may be too young, but I ordered chicks from Ideal, and they put in male SLW "packing peanuts" with my order. I got 7 of them, and they are 2 weeks old. I'm not sure of it is too early to tell, but one of the SLW comb looks different than the others, so I am wondering if it is possibly a girl. Its comb is ALOT smaller that the others', and looks alot like the combs on the females I ordered (different breeds) of the same age. Here are pictures of the SLW in question compared to another SLW.

possible girl???
    [​IMG]

boy (all the others except for the one above have combs like his)
    [​IMG]

together
    [​IMG]

So, what do you think? Do I have a bonus girl?

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Sometimes you'll get a crop out of a single comb on a SLW looks like maybe thats what you have here.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The correct comb for a SLW is a rose comb...the second picture. Single combs do pop up, but they have nothing to do with the sex of the chick.

4. <3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3

<3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Earth
    Both of them are girls. I poasted many questions about my GLW and the had different combs like yours. Check my BYC page if you don't beleave me!!

They are to cute little baby girls!! (not counting the little boy they were two, rite)

_ _
    born2Bwild

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  5. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    The single comb doesn't mean female or male. My SLW also has a single comb also.

6. SOchick

SOchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    Dang, I was really hoping one was a girl, they are so cute. Oh well, I will keep them for a while longer before I have to give them up. I am fighting off an urge to order more this spring- I'd have to build another coop, move out of the subdivision,.....
    Thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by