SLW chicks feather in slowly?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FRlEDeggs, Mar 11, 2011.

1. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Songster

Jun 6, 2010
    Hi [​IMG]

I have a SLW chick that is about 4 days old, and is much father behind my Welsummer on it's wing feathers... My welsummer already has practically full wing feathers and my SLW just has pins with some fluff at the end. Does that mean it's a boy [​IMG]? Or are SLW chicks just slow to feather in?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My SLW cockerals are always much slower feathering than the pullets. But it's hard to say for sure when you're comparing them to an entirely different breed.

3. dfdesigns

dfdesigns Indigo Ridge Farm

Sep 20, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I don't have SLWs, but I do have Colombian Wyandottes... the roo was *much* slower to develop than the hen, and just looked awful for a time. We facetiously named him "Feathers", just because he didn't have any!

Feathers as a runtlet:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Feathers now:

[​IMG]

Dana

4. This Silver laced Wyandotte chick had me guessing too. She hatched 12/14/10 and didn't get feathers very quick. I am used to bantam cochins who feather fast. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

In these 2 photos she's 3 months old. Am pretty confident is a hen as her body feather is all in, with just bitty wattles and no color to comb[​IMG][​IMG]

5. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Songster

Jun 6, 2010
    Thank you all for the lovely pictures and advice... I guess i'll just have to wait and see!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: