1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SLW comb color.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mlmonro3, Apr 2, 2016.

1. mlmonro3

mlmonro3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2016
    This is my 2.5 week old SLW, I'm curious about "her" comb. Is it typical for the breed to have pink combs this early on or is it only typical of cockerels.
    Thanks for any replies.

I'll post a pic as soon as I can.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Without a picture it's really hard to say, so I do hope you can get one soon. lA little pink blushing - perhaps just about the edges - after, say, being extremely active (ie running about because someone has approached the brooder) is not the same thing as an obviously bright pink comb.

3. mlmonro3

Mar 22, 2016
    Here are a couple of photos!

[​IMG]

This is by far the most skittish bird of the bunch.

[​IMG]

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    If the comb is consistently that pink (not just when you have caught it, given how skittish it is I am guessing it takes a bit of effort which *could* lead to some blushing) I'd be extremely surprised if it does not end up being a cockerel.

5. mlmonro3

Mar 22, 2016
    That's what I was thinking too, it seems to always be that pink. It's hard to observe them with out them running around though. I guess only time will tell.

Thank you for the response :).

6. mlmonro3

Mar 22, 2016
    Definitely a cockerel at 5.5 weeks, he didn't make me wait long! Thanks for your earlier response. Just thought I'd give an update!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by