1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SLW, EE & Cuckoo Marans 10wks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kenshan1, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Kenshan1

Kenshan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    These are about 10wks to 12wks, we aren't sure on when they hatched. All hatchery. The SLW are the easiest to picture as they are a tad more friendly & I can tell them apart by their markings. This one pictured was the runt I asked about a few weeks ago. It is still smaller but feathered/colored out fast, seemed like over night. It has more splashes of color then the rest. Let me know what you think about it, coloring & if its male or female.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is my EE, trying to tell the 2 apart isn't easy. This one has more comb then the other. With their markings/coloring its hard to tell if its male or female. With a tiny/small comb I'm thinking still female.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Cuckoo Marans are the hardest to get pictures of as they don't like to sit or stand still so I mostly only have head shots. All 5 have combs but they haven't gotten bigger & they don't seem to have woddles. All of them have grown big the fastest of the breeds I have listed here. One of them was much bigger then the rest but now its hard to tell which one that was. Their combs are all kind of a cream/pink color, nothing bright red.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shannon

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    SLW - female
    EE - female, common EE pullet color too
    Cuckoo Marans - probably a cockerel with that face

3. Kenshan1

Aug 13, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Here is a few more pictures.
    Another SLW, has a redder face & less splash color. I couldn't get a good body picture of that one.

#2 SLW
    [​IMG]

#3 SLW actually is the nicer one & only tries to eat my ring (man it hurts having one twist it) & doesn't peck at me lol.
    [​IMG]

EE, this one has a green shine to the tail in sun & seems to have more crown then the one I listed before.
    [​IMG]

Heres a tad better of the Cuckoo Marans
    [​IMG]

4. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Well it might depend on the line of Cuccko maran that you got, but my little cuccko Maran roo had a big crest since he was a little boy this is him at 9 weeks old,
    if you take that in comparisson I think your Coccko maran chick is a pullet.
    [​IMG]

5. Kenshan1

Aug 13, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Quote:Thanks for showing this picture. I have searching all over to try to find something close to what we were told our Cuckoo Marans were but couldn't find anything. Your picture helps alot. All of my Cuckoo Marans look the same so I'm assuming they are all pullets as they still have no waddles showing & the crowns aren't very big.

Shannon

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Wow, didn't know hatcheries sold cuckoo marans with leaking color. . . [​IMG]

The first SLW in your second post is possibly a cockerel, but I'd wait on it. The second is a pullet. The EE is still a pullet. The Cuckoo Marans look like girls.

7. Kenshan1

Aug 13, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Quote:Thanks, I thought I had heard that about EE but when I searched for where I read it I couldn't find it. I just wasn't sure. I started seeing a hint of green in one of their tails & it had me a tad worried. Hubby says Roos will be eaten first.

Shannon

8. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I dont think they do, i hatched this chick from some eggs I bought from ebay, they were supposed to be pure bred cuckoo Marans, but this one has red leaking color on his chest, so Im thinking it was probably a cross, altho i had another one hatched from the same eggs, same cuckoo color but no red leakage, Im pretty sure it has maran on him, since he hatched from very dark a very dark egg.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:I dont think they do, i hatched this chick from some eggs I bought from ebay, they were supposed to be pure bred cuckoo Marans, but this one has red leaking color on his chest, so Im thinking it was probably a cross, altho i had another one hatched from the same eggs, same cuckoo color but no red leakage, Im pretty sure it has maran on him, since he hatched from very dark a very dark egg.

Ah. Then, a cross may just be the thing. Often when a barred bird is crossed with another color that isn't, say, solid blue or black, the resulting barred offspring will show that leaking gold or red coloring.

Personally I never trust the cuckoo variety. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by