SLW Gender Question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Suburban Sprouts, May 27, 2010.

1. Suburban Sprouts

Suburban Sprouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I have a SLW - almost 7 weeks old. I have tried and tried to get decent pictures but he/she always looks away or the colors don't show up correctly...

I have 9 chickens but only one SLW, so it has been hard to guess on genders since they all seem to mature/feather differently. My SLW has a beautiful head of mostly white feathers and slightly fluffy cheeks. There are no obvious wattles and her comb is protruding some, with a little bit of pink around the edges.

I have seen other photos of people's SLWs around this age and it seems some have very red combs or even wattles that show... The fact that mine doesn't, does that mean it's likely a pullet? I was worried about "her" because she seamed to feather out slightly slower than the others, but I thought it might just be a difference in breed as opposed to gender.

Any wyandotte experts who could help me out?

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    really hard to guess without pics. I have some that are camera shy too

3. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Rogue Valley, S. Oregon
    I had 2 SLW boys-no girls- and had a heck of a time figuring that out. Both of my boys, though, went through what I am told is a characteristic cockeral phase where all their saddle feathers (their whole backs!) were nothing but pin feathers. They looked like little hedgehogs for a week or so while all my wyandotte pullets (except one) were feathering out visibly. This was about week 8...maybe 9. My first wyandotte to get red wattles was a columbian pullet, so that's sometimes no help. Pay attention to the noises he/she makes. One of my SLW was really advanced in his noises. First to squawk, cluck, and crow out of 30 straight run chicks. And then he never shut up!

4. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I've had a tough time with my SLW too. There aren't many baby pics out there and still they are hard to sex. At about 13 weeks I'm convinced one of mine is a cockerel and about 80% sure the other one is. I'm still holding out hope on that one though.

Love to see some pics.

Rooster:
    [​IMG]

Still clinging to a tiny hope it's a pullet:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by