SLW genders??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by de kippendame, Jul 16, 2011.

1. de kippendame

de kippendame Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    South Central IA
    These are supposed to be pullets, but I am having a hard time judging my Wyandottes! They are 6wks. Thank you!

Clementine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Perdita
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Perdita(L) & Clementine(R)
    [​IMG]

Sorry, I'm not the best chicken photographer and those little buggers manage to stay still only until you are actually ready to take the picture!![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Silver Laced Wyandottes are famously hard to tell which are cockerels and which are pullets. You have two birds. The first one (Clementine) is a pullet. [​IMG] The second one I think is a pullet as well, but has a bit more white on it in the back area... which is an indicator of a cockerel. Time will tell! [​IMG]

3. chickiemamma

chickiemamma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    They look like pullets to me. I have to SLWs and I was on the fence with both of them until more recently. They do make the guessing game harder. I do have to say that the head shape of yours looks very feminine-- a lot like my GLW actually who is definitely a girl!

4. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    So far, they look like pullets...BUT, hatchery birds are hard to tell. Recheck them in a few weeks.

5. de kippendame

de kippendame Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    South Central IA
    Quote:Forgive my ignorance, but why are hatchery birds harder to tell?[​IMG]

Also, the BLRW in your avatar is beautiful! I have 3 BLRW's(of which I have no idea on their gender either)[​IMG] and I think they are just so pretty!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Forgive my ignorance, but why are hatchery birds harder to tell?[​IMG]

Also, the BLRW in your avatar is beautiful! I have 3 BLRW's(of which I have no idea on their gender either)[​IMG] and I think they are just so pretty!

They're harder to tell because hatcheries don't breed for things like good lacing and correct body type while a good breeder does. A hatchery breeds for quantity, not quality.

7. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Look like pullets to me!

8. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    I would say SLW #1 is a pullet #2 is questionable.

Until about 5 weeks I thought I had 3 roos and only 1 pullet- nope- I got 1 roo and 4 pullets. By 6-7 weeks there will be NO question (if you got a roo!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by