SLW has swollen area under waddles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Julia62, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Julia62

Julia62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Reno, NV
    I have two SL Wyandottes that are about 29 weeks old. Neither has started laying yet. One of them has a very full or swollen area under the waddle. Is that normal? Maybe she is just maturing? Seems very healthy otherwise. It is different from the others which is why I ask. I have a white Leghorn and Golden Sex Link that are the same age and have been laying for about 6 weeks. Their "chins" look normal. My other SLW doesn't have that fullness either.

This is Tammy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Have you looked inside her mouth?

-Kathy

3. Julia62

Jun 18, 2014
    Reno, NV
    No, I've never tried to open her mouth. These are my first chickens.

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You need to catch her and check inside her mouth for hard, yellowish plaque/pus.

-Kathy

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  5. Julia62

Jun 18, 2014
    Reno, NV
    Ok, we got her and I didn't see puss, but the lump is hard. I gave her a small piece of ground beef to see if she could eat and she took it but spit it out. I don't think she could swallow it. Now I'm scared. :(

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

7. Julia62

Jun 18, 2014
    Reno, NV
    I was wondering if vets took care of chickens. I called the lady I got her from and she said it sounds like a spider bite of some sort. She is out of state right now but is giving my number to a friend that can take a look. Tammy can eat regular food and free ranges fine. She drinks water too. We held a warm wet towel on it for a few minutes, not sure if that did any good.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If the swelling doesn't go down, or if she starts to lose weight, take her to a vet. Probably best to get a digital kitchen scale and get a baseline weight on her.

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I don't want to scare you, but swollen wattles *can* be a sign of this:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/61/fowl-cholera-pasteurellosis
    http://www.poultryhub.org/health/disease/types-of-disease/fowl-cholera-or-pasteurellosis/
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/181/fowl-cholera

It says that it's highly contagious, and only one of your's is sick, so it's probably not cholera. Again, not trying to scare you, but it might be a good idea to isolate her or see a vet. Hoping that it's just a bite! [​IMG][​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by