1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SLW pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JMPE, Sep 22, 2009.

1. JMPE

JMPE Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    This is my second "girl" Charlotte. She's a 6 week old SLW, and is the largest and reddest of my five pullets, but I think that is kind of a SLW thing (?). What do you all think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. red rosecomb

red rosecomb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    Firstly love your SLW!!! Was thinking of getting some [​IMG] .

It has thick legs, a character of roosterness but on the other hand all Wyandottes are known for their thickish legs. The comb is very red for "her" age though and if I'm not mistaken I think "her" saddle feathers are too round for a rooster.

I'm 75% shore she is a "she"
    I couldnt be much help [​IMG]

3. JMPE

JMPE Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    She is a funny girl. She always makes it onto my head back or shoulders when I'm working in the run. Very outgoing. I hope she's a girl.

4. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Think this one is a toss up at this point. At 6 weeks old, hackle and sickle feathers aren't going to be that indicative of sex. Comb and wattles are mighty red for that age. I am going with male, for now.

5. hangin'witthepeeps

hangin'witthepeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    SLW are tricky. I was sure my Lola was a roo with all that early pinky/red development. What happened was it stayed that way and never got redder or grew until about 18 weeks as she got ready to lay. I'm going with hen unless next week the comb gets wider and more plump.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

With that red of wattles I'd guess roo at this point. Most of my wyandotte pullets don't have any red at that age.

7. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I swore I had 4 SLW's roosters until about 18 weeks when they all still had the same body type (as the for sure pullets). This is too early to tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by