SLW - ROO or too early to call? 3 weeks! Ack! =) UPDATE - 18wks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by featherz, Aug 1, 2010.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I think this SLW is a roo, which is very sad, as I really wanted a SLW pullet and this is the only one I have. I'm going to rehome ASAP but not for another few weeks yet so the poor lil one will be out from under the heat lamp. I doubt I can wait until full grown as my neighbors will run over here the minute they hear crowing. Plus hopefully he'll be prettier by then and will get more takers. Do you think he will look more SLW-ish as he gets older? He's mostly black now.

Is there ANY chance this is a girl? My thought is no - he's already got a pinkish comb at 3 weeks old! No rooster like behavior and actually has more tailfeathers than the others, but I only have one SLW (sniff) so not much to compare him to. I'm not familiar with SLW feathering, etc, so I thought I'd double check before sending him off and finding out later that 'he' is laying an egg a day. [​IMG]

Lots of pics. The comb is pinker than my photos show, kinda flesh colored pink. Same with wattles.

[​IMG](chicken in center)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(He hates pictures, probably cause he's in that scraggly stage!)..

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    I don't know. But I had a chick that was in the "funny looking stage" and we thought it was a cockeral and it even looked like yours a little bit. its 15 weeks and I still don't know the gender I think pullet so far on mine heres a pic of it in the same stage of yours

3 weeks

[​IMG]

9 weeks

[​IMG]

3. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I think that you might have to wait a while longer to be sure. I have two 12 week old SLWs that I have been going back and forth on since they were 3-4 weeks old. They both pinked up early but at 12 weeks still don't have bright red combs and wattles. One of these days I'm going to post some pics of them to get some opinions from the experts. [​IMG] Even if they are roos, we are going to keep them until they crow.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Hard to tell yet, but my babies had way more white at that age... I had some with more white, less white, bigger tails, smaller tails... didn't seem to matter much that young...

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

*I* think it's too early to tell.

Here's hoping you've got a SLW pullet! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I have more confidence that it is a pullet than I do that it is a SLW. It does not look like any wyandotte I have ever seen

Legs should be yellow body type should not be elongated should be showing some signs of lacing or at least some pronounced white.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    thanks guys! will keep a bit longer to help be more sure. I think it IS a SLW, but it's most likely a poor quality one as the lacing is very faint. It's from a hatchery, so.. [​IMG] I also have a GLW and that one you can really tell by now.

8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    My SLW and GLW got "red" wattles quickly (by week 3) but they never grew. The comb also got pinkish but didn't swell. They are both girls but I was very unsure for weeks. The GLW looked decent feathering out but my SLW (both hatchery) looked like a 2 year old having an epileptic fit colored her in. She's now 15 weeks and actually has somewhat nice lacing now. Give it time.

9. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Still too early to make a definate decision but if I had to go for one I would say boy I'm afraid [​IMG] happy hens yours looks like a hen, can we see pics of it at 15 weeks?

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Don't have a picture handy but thought I would update this thread. SHE is now 17 weeks old and is almost 100% certainly female. YAY. No saddle feathers, no comb, etc. Starting to pink up a bit now but that's to be expected. [​IMG]

Oh and tho she is definitely 'hatchery quality', it's definitely a SLW. Just not as nice looking a one as I'd like but when she feathered in she looked a lot better.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by