SLW roo pics please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Portia, May 8, 2008.

1. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Could someone post a decent picture or two of their SLW roo? I have a chick that has started to sprout the irridescent green tail feathers...so it is confirmed, she is a he with very little else to characterize her as a roo for the exception of a sprouting red comb and waddles; he was a late bloomer. I've done a search but haven't found any really good pictures of a SLW roo that is 6 months or older. If anyone could do this it would be greatly appreciated; I want my DH to see what the roo will look like in the future.
    Thanks!

2. Portia

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Anyone?

3. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Here ya go:
    [​IMG]
    I think he's a gorgeous bird, but he's mean, mean, MEAN!!! Meanest jerk of a roo on the planet. He's going to the stewpot on Saturday.

Em

edited to add: he came to us mean, so I have no idea of his situation before us. I don't want to give the impression all SLW roos are bad.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  4. Portia

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Thanks Em.
    Beautiful boy; too bad he's mean. My roo has been social since a tiny chick and developed in lock step with the hens, so I originally thought he was a she. A few weeks ago her comb started turning red and one waddle started descending. Still, no aggression towards anyone or anything, no roo type behaviors at all....not even an attempt at a crow. Then we noticed the tail feathers turning irridescent and getting longer. Guess there's no question any more. I'm making sure to spend some quality time with him to make sure he stays friendly...he loves to come up and eat out of my hand and will let me pet them; none of my birds are thrilled with being picked up. Oh well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by