SLW roo's time has come

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by homesteadinmama, Oct 1, 2011.

1. homesteadinmama

homesteadinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Merrimack
    Bobby was our adopted rooster for our 12 gals. He is 23 weeks, and in the past couple days started going after the kids and even my husband. Can't have that, so I went to the coop tonight and put him in a dog kennel. This will be our first chicken processing, I did a baby turkey last week. I have a question: should I give him just water until its time? I plan on doing it in the morning after breakfast. He is a big boy, so hoping that we get a good meal from him. Thanks.

2. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    People seem to suggest both ways.. if you give him food, you'll be able to find the crop easier. But it also means that there will be waste in his digestive system, would could potentially contaminate the meat if something goes wrong.

3. homesteadinmama

homesteadinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Merrimack
    The deed is done. He went without a fight, kinda like he knew it was coming. Lesson learned: what you think is a sharp knife, is probably not sharp enough. Next time I will get the scalpel.

4. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I could not have said it better myself. Did 20 meat birds on saturday...and not a single knife was sharp enough!

5. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I sharpen my knives before the deed and many times during processing. Always seems like blood and meat make them go dull real quick. Good for you to protect your family!

6. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I just got two SLW chicks there sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by