SLW Rooster and these hens????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rsf31tmp, May 14, 2010.

1. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Rochester, IL
    What will I get when my SLW Rooster gets together with these hens?

1. Rhode Island Red

2. Easter Egger

3. White Leghorn

4. Red Sex-link

5. Black Sex-link

6. Golden Sex-Link

7. White Java

8. Barred Rock?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm no expert, but this would be my guess. Some of the ones I am saying black and white could have a slight ivory or golden hue instead of pure white, especially the males, but it would be basically black and white, specifically 1, 4 and 6. It will be interesting if any of the experts come on this thread and comment.

1. Rhode Island Red - Black and white

2. Easter Egger - No telling.

3. White Leghorn - Probably white. White leghorns are usually dominant white.

4. Red Sex-link - A few variations, but basically black and white

5. Black Sex-link - Could be black or could be black and white.

6. Golden Sex-Link - Same as red sex link

7. White Java - Probably white. I think the White Java is dominant white but not sure.

8. Barred Rock? - Black barred male and black female. A black sex link.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    1. Rhode Island Red = Female - black patterned red shouldered/cream incomplete laced
    Male - black patterned yellow/golden incomplete laced

2. Easter Egger = EE's a cross breed so it is going to be hard to say

3. White Leghorn = White maybe with some flicks of color

4. Red Sex-link = Females - white patterned red shouldered/cream incomplete laced
    Male - white patterned yellow/golden incomplete laced

5. Black Sex-link = Black

6. Golden Sex-Link = Females - white patterned red shouldered/cream incomplete laced
    Male - white patterned yellow/golden incomplete laced

7. White Java = White maybe with some flicks of color

8. Barred Rock = Female - Black
    Male - barred

Chris

4. RL

RL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    From your list I only have Barred Rock Hens, Golden Sex-Link and I have chicks that have hatch out from my SLW Roo.

Here is a pick of some of them at a few days old.

The Barred Rock\\SLW chicks in the rear and I think The chick in the front is either from a Golden Sex-Link or a Production Red I am not sure. The BR/SLW s are boys - White spot on the top of their heads and more of a dark gray then black. The Female was all very black with just white on the chest and butt and black legs. They over a month old now and I will post pick of them when I can get them uploaded to the pc. The GSL or PR/SWL was a male as well and looks like a Sex-Link male.

[​IMG]

5. rsf31tmp

Mar 17, 2010
    Rochester, IL
    Thanks...I like the sound of that...so did I see in there that a SLW roo and a barred rock hen gives you a black sex-link?

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Yep, A Silver Laced Rooster over a Barred Rock hen will give you a Black Sex-link = Female - Black
    Male - barred
    And so will the Silver Laced Rooster over a Rhode Island Red Hen = Female - black patterned red shouldered/cream incomplete laced
    Male - black patterned yellow/golden incomplete laced

Chris

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  7. rsf31tmp

Mar 17, 2010
    Rochester, IL
    so If I hatch out 25-40 chicks each spring I should have a nice flock of very cool looking chickens....like I have right now!

8. RL

RL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    I don't know if they are really Black Sex-link or not, But it does look like they are sex-linked. The females have dark black feathers, no white head spot, white patches on the chest and butt. Their legs are dark black with light colored toes and have a rose comb. I will post some pics soon. The males are barring out, but I think they will be kind of dark like a BR hen, I'll just have to see if they lighten up. The female looks like she is starting to get a bit of lacing on the chest. Right now it is just little wisps of white.

I also have a White Banty Cochin -she hatch out all the eggs- she also had a chick from my SLW Roo and it looks just like the BR/SLW pullet chick, but just not as dark and it is a female too. I have other chicks from my SLW Roo that I can not tell who the mother was, but I think they are form one of my Light Brahma hens. I'll be posting pics of them as well to see if anyone might have a guess.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I wonder. With the Rhode Island Red, would you really be able to tell the difference in the chicks. Wouldn't both the yellow-gold and the cream base color give you yellow chicks that you would have trouble telling apart? I know what the yellow-gold chicks look like but I'm not sure what the cream-colored chicks would look like.

so did I see in there that a SLW roo and a barred rock hen gives you a black sex-link?

Yes, but with eggs in the mix from the SLW x Black Sex Link cross, you will not know for sure that all the black chicks are female. The black ones out of the barred rock would be, but the black ones out of the black sex link could be either male or female. The black ones with the white on their heads should all be males out of the barred rock.

The other problem with this is that the EE's could have any kind of genetic make-up. EE's are a type, not a breed, and can have really jumbled genetics as far as colors and patterns go. Depending on their dominant and recessive genes, their chicks could look like any of the others or look totally different.

so If I hatch out 25-40 chicks each spring I should have a nice flock of very cool looking chickens....like I have right now!

I certainly think so. And if you save a rooster and a few pullets out of the offspring and let them breed, then you will really get a variety of looks. Some of the chicks won't get the dominant genes so the recessives start to show through and the co-dominant genes pair up to give you really unexpected colors and patterns. They are no longer a breed but are mutts. You never know what you will get when you hatch a bunch of mutt eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by