SLW shocker with the new year.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rsf31tmp, Jan 4, 2011.

1. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Rochester, IL
    Much to my surprise....one of my four Silver Laced Wyandottes has gone broody. They hatched in Feb. 2010 and of my mixed bag of 18 hens, she is the only one to even come close. I think she is on 6 or 7 eggs. Some hers, some not. she is keeping them very warm. My guess is she either had a Barred Rock or a Auburn Java over her and all of the eggs. Most of the other hens are SLW, PBR, Black Sex-L or Gold (Red) Sex-L. Any hopes for a great mix or a sex-linked chick?

It is Jan 4th and I am in Central, IL....what do I have to do to make this hatch successful?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    First, read this thread. Whether you isolate her or not, it has some good advice. If you decide to not isolate her, please pay close attention to the comments on marking the eggs and removing any new ones daily. People successfully do it both ways so don't get too hung up about isolating her or not. There are risks and advantages both ways.

Isolate a Broody? Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213218

I am not familiar with the Auburn Java so I have no idea what you will get from him. The Barred Rock will give you barred chickens. I'm not sure what a PBR is, but I suspect you will get black and white barred offspring from those hens. The barred rock will not give you sex linked chickens. The Java might, not sure, but with your sex links providing hatching eggs and the BR rooster in the mix, you will not be able to tell if they are sex links or not.

As far as a great mix, assuming you mean different colors and patterns, maybe with the Java but not with the BR this generation. Now if you keep chickens from these crosses then breed this offspring back to others of the offspring, then this second generation will give you a wide variety of possibilities, color and pattern.

3. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Rochester, IL
    I think we hit dat 11 or 12 with my broody sitting on six eggs. Tonight I went out and checked and she had moved over one box and was on one egg. Of the six eggs that I had "X"ed only three were there. Those three were very cold. Looks like I am out of luck?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by