SLW- Speed racer

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kgw, May 26, 2010.

1. kgw

kgw Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Tulsa
    This is Speed racer (One of four Silver laced Wyandotte). I opened the door to the cage and she took off running like a group of fat people at Closing time near Burger King. After an hour we gave up trying to catch her as she was in the house. See my sweaty shirt? Since I have COPD I laid down in bed. A few minutes later I heard a chirping at the foot of my bed. She was looking at me like, "I still want to play"? At that point I was able to toss my Snuggie on her and deliver her safely back to the cage.
    [​IMG]

2. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Lol, I know what you mean! I have found that the easiest way to coax a chick to come to you is to sit down on the floor at their level, and have some sort of yummy treat in your hand. They can't help but investigate. I have 4 SLW girls and I know how fast they can be. They are adults now but they still don't like to be held and will move VERY fast to get just out of our grasp. They are content to be around us or ON us when it's on THEIR terms though. But I know how tiring it can get when you're trying to chase down a feisty chick! I was out in the yard with both my kids trying to corner a 6 week old EE pullet that did NOT want to get caught. Took the three of us more than 20 minutes to corner her in a spot where she couldn't move fast enough to escape us all!!!

3. kgw

kgw Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Tulsa
    I'm glad someone else can feel my pain :) Whats an EE?

4. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    EE= Easter Egger. Cute little buggers. I got some Bantams at Tractor Supply in March, and one turned out to be an EE. She's feathering in very pretty, but she isn't very social. Man is she fast!!!! Here, I have standard EE's too, so I'll show you a picture of them. DJ, the bantam EE never wants to stand still long enough for a picture. [​IMG]

This is my baby boy George. I love his colors cause he reminds me of a hawk. He has the most docile personality of all of them. He will come to me if I stretch my hands out and call him by name. He's a snuggler. My other little roo won't come. He's a brat, lol. He sees me coming and runs the other way cause he thinks he's getting locked up. But George wants to be wherever I am. I love that:
    [​IMG]

And this is how "snuggly" George is. He came up into my lap and laid down on top of the dog! The dog wasn't too thrilled, especially when George found things to peck off him lol. But he is so sweet. A few of the girls are sweet too, but George has them all beat. When I hatched him and the other EE's out, he was the first one right up in the window staring back at me when I would check their progress as they hatched, and as soon as it was time to move them, he was the first one out of the bator and in my hand. He likes people. I hope he stays this sweet. He's the complete opposite of the SLW's! Here's George:
    [​IMG]

Oh, and I currently have several Wyandotte mixes that I hatched out. They are quick little boogers too! Must be in the DNA, lol! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by