SLW suddenly cant stand up falls over/stumbles like shes drunk???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JessyGii, Jan 4, 2015.

1. JessyGii

JessyGii Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2012
    Ohio
    yesterday before I put my chickens away I noticed that everyone of them which is 14 plus 3 of my ducks where all smashed inside a dog house I placed in the outdoor run as an extra nesting area. they were not shut inside or anything they were all purposely smashing themselves inside of it. ( about 2 1/2 weeks ago the neighbors dogs came down and terrorized my flock injuring many of them and killing part of them. Luckily they paid for $535 in damages the dogs created and said it would never happen again)

anyway since the attack my whole flock has been acting strange they are all healed up now and doing well but they are skittish about every little thing. I shooed out all the chickens from the dog house and noticed one of my Silver laced Wyandotte's was at the bottom of the chicken pile. I pulled her out and set her up but she just tumbled forward. her whole body wants to tumble forward or she will drunkly stumble to the right and fall. I felt her up and down and moved her legs and toes and nothing is out of place, she had eaten allot recently because she is plump and her crop is full. her eyes look good I cant see anything that looks wrong.

I separated her into a dog create at the house, she just sits in the hey she looks around and will change positions occasionally but she will not stand and walk.

What could be wrong!! I want to treat her but don't know what to give her.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It seems like your chickens and ducks have been terrorized and any thing can create hysteria and packing into a small area. If they are in a run, I would make sure it's dog proof. Maybe leave the coop open so they can go in if they want (?). I would think about blocking the ability to see outside the pen on one side, like a wall where they can feel safe.

I guess with the SLW, I would keep her warm and give her some chicken feed wet mush to eat, and anything she wants. She may have gotten injured, and needs a few days to recover. Does she still stumble and fall?

3. JessyGii

Nov 4, 2012
    Ohio
    Yes I have a huge outdoor run divided into 3 pastures which all are open for the chickens to come in and out of a chicken house and a duck house and the dog house I have. the first smallest run is dog proof that is what I have been keeping them in since the attack. when the attack occurred they had free roam to all pastures which are connected together, but the bigger pasture is chain link fence with a poultry netted top the dogs dug under the fence.

she is doing a tad better today yesterday she would take like 2 sideways steps and fall to one side, she could not stand up at all. today she is standing up on her own but very wobbly she sometimes puts down a wing to help keep her up and balanced.

The other thing I noticed is her crop is still very full. It seemed overly big so I been mainly giving her lots and lots of water, which she drinks on her own.

4. JessyGii

Nov 4, 2012
    Ohio
    Today she has been standing up better, still wobbles but she poped out a shelless egg its like a rubber egg, have never had that happen before.

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If her crop is not empty in the mornings, she has a serious problem of some sort. If her crop is not processing her food, she could be on the verge of starving. This would cause weakness and stumbling. Have you seen any poop? If she is not pooping then food is not moving through her.

6. JessyGii

Nov 4, 2012
    Ohio
    She's pooping, today she has more balance but is wobbly trying to walk further then a few steps she is not falling down as much. She just gets wobbly and holds her self with a wing. Hoping she will get better soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by