SLW Young Roo - What do you think? Pics included

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CountryMom, May 13, 2009.

1. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    This is Wilbur. He hatched in late November so he is really still a baby. Being my first SLW and only until a couple weeks ago, I am curious to see how he looks to those SLW experts on here. I keep expecting a fluffier or more rounded bird and maybe he will be that, but for now seems slender. I know that is hard to see in pictures here. The lacing is just now appearing and not coming in even, but I am sure that will change. My luck I think I have two more SLW roos from our last hatch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I would imagine he's from hatchery stock and their lacing and body type is almost never what a breeder's bird would be. He may fill out some more as he ages, but he's not going to look like a wyandotte should.

3. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

4. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    [​IMG]

here is a picture of our 2008 rooster......good quality SLW are really hard to find. They fully mature at 18 months.....

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  5. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    He is from breeder stock not hatchery.

Just wanted to add that I guess at 18 months like Mrs Turbo's roo maybe he would be that big! LOL He is only in his 6th month now.

6. tonkatuff

tonkatuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Orange County NY
    Do you have pictures of your babys parents? Do they have stronger lacing than him? We have a SLW roo who is beautiful (I think!) but he is far from perfect...we have chicks of his now if you are interested.

[​IMG]

7. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    This one and two others in the brooder have come from Julie at Gabbard Farms. I see now that her description states pet quality, but I wasn't so sure I saw that before. Anyhow, I will hold off judgement on how good he is until I see more definite lacing and growth overall. It is hard for me to really be optimistic when I see him out ranging with our black orp who is a monster in comparision. LOL

I gave up on breeders and shipped eggs for some of the breeds I liked and simply ordered hatchery birds. I know that is probably a no no to some, but I don't ever plan on showing. Just real curious if all these dang roos I have spent so much on were worth it.

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:Breeder should only be used to define a person who is working at restoring a breed or preserving a breed to the original standard. OR...at the very least have a purposeful breeding program.

Whether from the person you bought them from or not, it looks hatchery quality.

Mrs. Turbo, gorgeous bird!

9. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Everyone is quick to point out hatchery stock, but no reasoning behind it. I never stated to begin with where this roo came from. I am thinking that he is kind of young if all I am getting is pictures of older roos that he cannot possibly compare to. I would love some actual reasoning behind what everyone sees as hatchery. I want to learn and not be hit with "looks like hatchery stock."

I also realize that this bird never stopped and stood still for a decent picture. Kind of like hard to say how good a horse is if he isn't photographed right. So I guess I am at a catch 22 here.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I said hatchery stock because of his lack of lacing and more so because of his body type. I'm uploading some pictures of my 6 week old SLW chicks who are from a breeder's eggs so I'll post those when they're uploaded. Their lacing is very obvious already and they have a nice round body shape.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by