1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

SLWs again - hens or rooz?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Beanmama, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Beanmama

Beanmama Hatching

May 31, 2009
    Portland, Oregon
    2 of these chicks are 8 weeks old, and the other 2 are 7 weeks old. Same batch of eggs, hatched by different hens who got broody a week apart.
    I will say what I think about each one - I will caution against comparing the first 3 against our last-hatched, simply because little Pepper was hatched significantly tinier than any of our others and has remained significantly tinier and has feathered out, developed slower. Maybe that does mean all the others are rooz, but I don't want to leap to that conclusion because of her, kwim? I haven't gotten to closely examine saddle feathers, because they free range over a rather large area and are not at all easy to catch. In any case, we will keep them until they crow and then we have a place to take the Roos. I just want to mentally prepare my 6 year old as to which ones might leave us.

First born, Peep-Bo - had the yellowest head as a baby and is now evening out in that regard compared to his sibling, Kaylee. And I am pretty confident that he's a Roo. I am seeing pointy saddle feathers. I hereby present: Peep-Bo. Hatched May 27, 2010.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peep-Bo's sibling, Kaylee, was also hatched May 27, 2010. Paler comb than Peep. More white on his/her wings. Presenting: Kaylee (or Kyle?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kaylee & Peep-Bo together in their dust bath. They are thick as thieves, those two.

[​IMG]

On to our Ella's chicks -- Blackie & Pepper. Blackie and Pepper are 7 weeks old (a bit less in Pepper's case.) Blackie is marginally smaller than the older 2, but Pepper is markedly so.

May I present, for your consideration -- Blackie! Hatched June 5, 2010.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, finally, our tiny little itty bitty Pepper. Easiest to catch, mellowest, born last. 2 days later than Blackie. Hatched June 7, 2010. Again, I caution against too much comparison with Pepper - but of course, it's entirely possible she's our only hen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help, everyone! Love these boards. [​IMG]

(edited to fix my photo blunders.)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010

2. PetRock

PetRock Crowing

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I'm not able to see your pics! [​IMG]

3. Beanmama

Beanmama Hatching

May 31, 2009
    Portland, Oregon
    fixed! Sorry, I didn't understand about the BBcode tags. [​IMG]

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I am pretty new at this so take what I say with a HUGE grain of salt. I think the first three are boys and the last one is a girl. I have two SLW and two GLW that are "supposed" to all be girls. They are just 10 weeks old today and all of them have much smaller and paler combs and wattles as your first three. Now, I don't know if it is the pictures that are making the combs look so red or if it is the quality of my birds (from a hatchery). Hope this helps??!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. PetRock

PetRock Crowing

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Beautiful babies!!! I'm waiting to see what more experienced people have to say. I have two 10 week old hatchery SLWs that are supposed to be pullets but I'm thinking might be roos. I pour over all the SLW gender posts and keep hoping that they are girls. I'm delaying posting pics of them because I like living in denial! [​IMG]

6. PetRock

PetRock Crowing

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    My two have some big tails compared to yours. Mine are two weeks older but have had big tails since they were little.

7. turtlebird

turtlebird Songster

Dec 11, 2009
    Pepper looks to be your only female

8. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I'm going def with the top three roos, and Pepper as a possible hen.

Ended up what I have for my SLW - 3 roos and a girl, and the roos look like young ones of my boys, Pepper has the "eagle" look and nicer coloring like my girl.

Time will tell!

9. Megs

Megs Songster

Aug 19, 2009
    Quote:agreed

10. monaandthechicks

monaandthechicks In the Brooder

Nov 1, 2009
    MA.
    Hmmm I think pepper is your only lady too. My SLW is 11 weeks today actually and she is barely even pink and no sign of her comb popping up yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by