Sly fox no match for game roos and oh yea, red neck hubby update 4/25

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chilling in muscadine, Nov 26, 2008.

1. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    This cold morning we were awakened to the warning signal roos give when there is danger present. [​IMG] My roos on the west side of the property were having a fit. After looking through the windows for a bit we didn't see anything. We didn't immediately go outside "Hey is was cold and we figured a hawk flew by." [​IMG] A minute escaped us and I had to go pee [​IMG] and I heard my chickens on the east side start with there warning.

This is where my baby and teenage coop is located. These are all babies I hatched out. [​IMG] I came to the front of the house to report this news to my oldman "Snakeman" who was still looking through the west side windows.

At that point my redneck oldman grabbed his 12 gauge with turkey choke and wearing nothing but a smile and his birthday suit said "Let me see if I can shoot something, its been awhile." He makes it to the backdoor of the house and about a minute and a half later "BOOM" my redneck oldman takes the shot while still standing in the doorway. [​IMG]

Now in case your wondering a 12 gauge shotgun being fired from the doorway of your house is LOAD [​IMG] and it happening first thing in the morning will definately wake you up. Forget coffee. [​IMG]

What Snakeman first witnesses after opening the backdoor was amazing. My babies in there huge run were in a panic.. [​IMG] What he saw next was five free range roos, "Rocko" my top game bird at seven years old was leading the pack with four of his offspring from last years hatch in tow. [​IMG] The not so sneaky fox was about six foot from my babies run and all five roos were between the fox and my freightened babies. They were not letting the fox get any closer.

Snakeman set his sites on the fox and had to wait for one of the roos to step to the side a bit and then he took the shot. After the fox hit the ground all five roos ran to it and started pecking and floging the fox. You can be well assured there were extra treats in these brave roos food bowl today.

For the past few months I've had a predator coming up and taking free range mama hens caring for biddies off the nest during the night. Hopefully this will solve my current predator problem. [​IMG]
    I hate to kill anything but this fox was doing my birds in, it had to go!!! Gotta love those game roos. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  2. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    That's quite a mind-picture [​IMG] Glad the fox didn't get breakfast and hubby didn't get frostbite!

3. Bassleg

Bassleg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Lebanon Oregon
    Talk about shrinkage!!!

4. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Quote:Now THAT'S funny [​IMG]. Glad to hear everything worked out well!

5. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Here is better pics.
    [​IMG]

6. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. Patch of Heaven Farm

Patch of Heaven Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

those roo's were awesome to stand up to the fox! glad the fox didnt get any of your birds!!

8. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2008
    NW IL Fiber Enabler
    Nice fox.

I hat them worse than 'yotes. Only cause fox will kill for the fun of it where coyotes will kill to feed themselves (and young'ens)

Had a male fox wipe out 21 chooks in one night. DH trapped him ... now we have 'yotes at the farm.

9. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:Game roos are tough birds and it really surprised me that they stood holding there ground protecting the flock up against a FOX. My roos were blocking the path to the babies!!! Man that is cool !!![​IMG]

10. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Good roos were doing their job!

Congrats to hubby on his good shot and thank him for getting dressed for the photo! [​IMG]

Chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by