Sly foxes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hrhta812, Aug 1, 2013.

1. hrhta812

hrhta812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Lebanon, IN
    We learned the value of a game cam this week. I was convinced we must have a very smart coon, based on the evidence left behind, but it turned out to be the second of two foxes. Traps appeared untouched, but the game cam showed a fox going by. Who knows, there may be more - we will keep putting out traps. The first fox was caught with a TSC bought coon trap, but it took a snap trap from a sporting goods store to get the 2nd one. We've lost 5 birds in a month, so it has been awful, but at least now we've gotten our processes tweaked to be more effective.

2. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Sorry for your losses. Foxes are the toughest of the smaller predators - hard to trap, you don't see them to shoot them and they can wipe out your flock in short order. Good luck on catching him. I had to give up on true free ranging due to foxes, and fenced in a large area with electric net, and that has kept the foxes at bay.

3. hrhta812

Jul 27, 2009
    Lebanon, IN
    We have trapped two this week, but we will keep setting the traps, and a larger one is being shipped, just in case. :)

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Congrats! Reds or grays? Can you post some pics?

5. hrhta812

Jul 27, 2009
    Lebanon, IN
    Sure thing! Both were red foxes. The first one, that was caught in the TSC trap, was a young female, or at least I think that's what it was. It was definitely female, and I am guessing it was young because its teeth were very, very white & sharp, and it had no appearance of being a nursing mom or having nursed pups in the past. Hubby dispatched it before I could get out there to get a live pic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next one was larger and a male. This was the one I mentioned in the other post, that refused to die. My husband fired at it, it dropped and didn't move, so he went inside to get ready for work. I went out to look at it, and when I started getting close to it, I said "Well, look at you - why did you have to come here and kill my chickens?" and it raised up its head and looked at me, which freaked me out. So, I ran in, told hubby, then took my camera out. When I got out there again, it was laying with head on the ground, eyes closed, doing the death gasp type breathing, and I tried to talk it into looking at me, opening its eyes, anything, but got no response at all. So I went back in and said, oh, don't worry, it'll be dead in a minute or two. He said okay and soon after went to work. Later, I looked out the kitchen window, and couldn't see it, so I thought maybe something had come and taken the carcass. I was worried it somehow took my trap, too, although it was anchored well. That's when I got out there and saw it sitting up; it had gone inside the dog run, to be in the shade. At least that time, it didn't startle me quite as bad, but I really could hardly believe my eyes. I went in and called my husband at work and said, "That #@%&*@% thing is NOT dead AGAIN! It's sitting up!" He was floored - I sent him a pic on e-mail so he would know I wasn't making it up or hallucinating. LOL I guess it was a freak thing where the shot somehow missed anything vital - you know, those stories you hear about somebody walking into the hospital with a knife sticking out of their head but they're just walking around like nothing happened? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Hey, look at me, I'm dead.

[​IMG]Hey, guess what, I woke up, and it turns out, I'm not dead after all!

1 person likes this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Wow hard to trap reds in a live trap.

7. Shellz

Shellz Chillin' With My Peeps

True! Never managed to get one, though had them around in the past. Dogs out all day now, so no foxes seen this year. I know they're out there & dogs are doing their jobs well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by