small air sac

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2dz shavon, Nov 17, 2014.

1. 2dz shavon

2dz shavon Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2014
    I'm on day 21 but my air sac for my two little duck eggs looks more like day 14 should I remove the water I'm worried about drowning help please this my first time trying to hatch eggs

2. Foghornnmsprisy

Foghornnmsprisy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2014
    Austin/Bastrop Texas
    Im having the same problem. Ive been looking around for the answer. In think i found it. Moisture evaporating from an egg causes its contents to shrink, which increases the size of the air cell. If air cells are proportionately larger increase humidity; if they’re smaller, decrease humidity. This should probley be done earlier than now because I'm on day 17 with chicken eggs and I know I'm suppose to increase humidity for them to hatch right. So now I'm not sure what to do. I hope someone can help us. All the chickens do is sit there. They make it seem so easy.

3. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but lightly misting the eggs with warm water every day will help the air cells grow bigger. And also decreasing your humidity in the incubator itself. So yes, you could try removing the water from the incubator for a few days and candle again to see how the air cells are doing. They do need that humidity back up for lock-down though, as Foghornmsprisy said. ;) But you do have a few days before that to try to get those air cells bigger. Good luck!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by