1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Small air sacs - day 15

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tsid78, Apr 25, 2016.

1. tsid78

tsid78 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    Hi there,
    I'm incubating 12 duck eggs for the first time. About 5/12 have small air sacs and we are on day 15 but the others are fine. My humidity has been in the 40s which I thought was kind of low but apparently not as some of my eggs air sacs are still so small. I've been cooling and misting since about day 7. Any ideas? What can I do?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  3. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    I'll need specifics how small is small? Compared to the ones that aren't small?
    Have they grown at all?
    Have you been weighing the eggs too?

In my last batch there were definitely some eggs that sported larger air cells than others, and even up to the end one or two that I worried about.

4. tsid78

tsid78 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    Hi dotknott,
    2/3 of the eggs are where they should be for day 14. 1/3 of them are at day 7 sizes. They've grown a bit but not much compared to the others. I don't know what to do humidity wise. I've been keeping it around 30 the past few days but still mist them. Do I go dry or go up to 55 humidity?

5. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Drier will increase the air cell size. You can try keeping it at 30 with no misting. See if they start increasing. Try that for a few days, then start misting again periodically.

I would worry about accelerating the ones that aren't behind too much though.

6. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Decrease the misting, only do it once a week

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by